L200 - buying advice

#1 by beccles , Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 pm

thinking of buying an L200 to use as a second car, so it will only get about 6k miles a year. looking to pay 2-3.5k

i know about the cambelts.. is there also a cylinder head problem? if so any giveaway signs? Any particular problems with high mileage vehicles?
Am i right in saying there is no security/alarm in the back on the hardtop L200 and also does the rear window get dirty a lot as it looks like you can't have a rear wipe or HRW either.. They also look pretty easy to break into at the back, but i might be wrong??

road tax: as i understand it around 250pa unless you get a 56 plate when it's 140 (odd!)

and lastly, where's the best place to insure them as i've shopped around and the best price i can get on a Vehicle valued around 3K is £500 for comp.!
That's near double the price for my 2010 XC90! Bear in mind i'm a pensioner with no accidents or convictions and a 20+ year NCB that seems a very high premium, almost enough to put me off buying one and getting a shogun sport instead at not much more than half the insurance... The tax isn't too much more either.

any opinions L200 versus shogun, both prob around 2003?

beccles  
beccles
Date registered 01.23.2017

RE: L200 - buying advice

#2 by beccles , Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:04 pm

tried to post the above in "general" but that tab won't open..???

beccles  
beccles

#3 by krutly , Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:32 pm

while your username is still green you wont be able to view/post in all of the forum bud
to upgrade to see all the forum, details of what to do are here ---> 29-1-17 Welcome to 15 new members
Tax is standard commercial vehicle tax same as a van so circa 250 is right
no security or alarm on the back although you can add central locking to the tailgate
most hard tops cover the top of the tailgate so when locked will secure the tailgate also
no heated rear window on the rear hard top only in the cab but the mirrors are large enough to see out of
glass in the hard tops are an obvious target for someone with a brick so best not to leave valuables on show
insurance will be under commercial/van insurance so probably more than a shogun sport

this would be my checklist when buying a classic, most of it is obvious stuff like checking for rust etc

make sure it doesn't overheat (floor it on a long hill and watch temp gauge doesn't go above half way)
make sure there are no bubbles in the expansion tank when you turn the engine off (usually head gasket if there are bubbles)
if it's an animal make sure the power chip is still there (passenger foot-well silver box)
check for rust on front cross member and rear mud flap things next to back of cab
check for wobbles in the front pulley (if it wobbles, walk away)
check all the warning lights come on when you turn the ignition on then importantly go back out when it's running
check for excess smoke (mine give a small puff on first start up)
check the 4wd high and low work (on loose or slippery ground not tarmac or you'll break it)
make sure the green 4x4 light goes back out when back into 2wd
check for wear on gear levers and steering wheel are consistent with the mileage
check the DVLA mot checker to see it's history of mileage and mot passes and fails
check the hangers on the rear box as they rust for a pass-time
check for oil leaks in the engine bay, common ones is the half moon seal at the rear of engine
service history would be a bonus but certainly not a deal breaker as even the most meticulously serviced engines can fail
check it has the tool thingy if there are locking wheel nuts
if it's an animal with 18inch alloys, check there plenty of tread as those tyres aint the cheapest
check it's got a spare wheel as many get pinched

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#4 by ronniecabers , Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:39 pm

You won't be able to post in General until you have your membership upgraded by Admin, you' ll need to PM Admin with your detail to do that.

As per your original request...
The price bracket you quote you are probably looking at 2002-2005 , so 10-15 year old vehicles , so there will obviously be age related issues.
Headgaskets can be an issue , but in all honesty , are a bit of a lottery, some have gone very early in life ( my own 54000 ) and others have never gone. Personally i would steer clear of anything that says it has a reconditioned engine in it , as generally these appear to fail and are only painted , degreased and shipped back out.
Rear canopies are not alarmed , but are lockable , and you can get the tailgate central locked with a bit of work,
Tax will be circa £250 ( 56 plate where Euro 4 I beleive hence lower value tax )
Things to look out for :
Front X Member rusts ... along with the rear ( mainly because its 10-15 years old )
Crank Pulley can delaminate ( wobbles first )
Bubbles or Oil in Header tank...walk away...

The shogun sport is basically the L200 with a boot!

Insurance wise ... unfortunately its a ring round job and will depend on your postcode as muchas anything else. but try NFU, Brentacre, A-Plan , and Adrian Flux to name a few

There will be other things to look out for too that other members will spot ... thing to remember though is its 10-15 years old....

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#5 by ronniecabers , Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:43 pm

ah @krutly beat me to it!

One thing to note, if you look at Animals , it was only the latter versions that had the chip , the early ones were only different by graphics and alloys

Some models have leather , some don't .... Some have a rear Difflock , others Limited Slip diff - no rhyme or reason as to which has what , except as a rule the 4work and 4 life were the lower end of the market but still had some of the luxuries

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

Last edited 01.30.2017 | Top

#6 by rxbren , Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:24 pm

shogun will be more comfortable
what you going to be using for as a second car as if you dont need 4x4 you will be better off buying a mondeo or a transit connect

rxbren  
rxbren
Date registered 07.28.2014

#7 by beccles , Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:35 pm

fishing/shooting car so yes, do need 4wd.. (and of course needs to be very reliable, more so than a work car!!)

beccles  
beccles

Last edited 01.30.2017 | Top

#8 by Ollie , Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 am

I've got a 52 plate discovery td5 face lift for sale

Your Area Rep for Newcastle upon Tyne Did have several l200s
04plate warrior snorkel off road ats lifted needs more mods waiting on the store's to open
NEVER FOLLOW WOODY

Ollie
Date registered 10.02.2013

#9 by beccles , Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 pm

joined this forum last week as was looking to buy an L200 and wanted some advice.
However, i now find the biggest stumbling block for me is insurance. It's ridiculously high!
I'm in my 60s, no accidents, no convictions, 20+ year NCB, only driving this vehicle about 6k miles a year. The quotes i'm getting on a 2003/4 L200 vallued around £2.5-3k vary from £500 to £900! That's double what i paid on a 2010 XC90 worth £12k.

just wondered if anyone had found an insurance company with more reasonable prices? As things stand i think i probably won't be becoming an L200 owner!

beccles  
beccles

#10 by 123hotchef , Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:29 pm

try Aplan mate I pay £300

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#11 by beccles , Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:30 pm

was that comprehensive? i did try Aplan.. £800 comp..

beccles  
beccles

#12 by troggles , Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:34 pm

i know some insurers charge more once you get past 65yrs, so unsure if you fall into that.

I know dads insurance went up for passatt but he has 3named drivers on it including me which reduced it a lot.

good for me as my nfu policy for l200 doesn't cover me to drive another vehicle with it being a commercial policy

troggles  
troggles
Date registered 02.18.2012

#13 by 123hotchef , Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:36 pm

yep FC mate a list of mods off road use too

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#14 by krutly , Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:57 pm

swiftcover underwritten by AXA ,12yrs protected ncd, fully comp, age 47, 1 named driver 212 quid for my walkinshaw 198 quid last year for my 2003 classic
try increasing your voluntary excess, that'll decrease the premium with many insurers
worth checking the prices you've got isn't loaded with lost key cover, breakdown cover, legal cover and all the other cr@p they bung on without you knowing

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#15 by troggles , Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:44 pm

omg that's cheap, ive been lazy just sticking with nfu, suppose postcodes play a huge part in price

troggles  
troggles
Date registered 02.18.2012

#16 by rxbren , Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:37 am

The words l200 and reliable don't really go together although they are more than a match than reliable and land rover

rxbren  
rxbren
Date registered 07.28.2014

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Automatic vs manual

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor