Mystery EML Problem - EGR sensor?

#1 by GettinOld , Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:28 pm

Hi,

Hoping someone could help me here; I have an K75 (4D56) L200 on a '53 plate (04) model. Recently, and with no explanation, the EML started coming on after driving for anywhere between straight after starting and about 15 miles; The vehicle doesn't go into limp mode, but EML won't go out. I tried un-plugging battery for an hour to reset EML, but no joy. Garage took a look, read EML and stated this was down to error 51, with the EGR. Problem is I blanked the EGR about 8 years ago and it's not caused an issue. Anyway, found the vacuum hose bung was deteriorated, so replaced this, and at same time but new gaskets and blanking plates on. But still has not fixed. So I looked again at the errors the garage said were on the EML, and noted a couple of other errors, a 52 and 49. I tested the resistance on the brown and black sensor units, and found that (with the engine off and at about 2 degrees) the black sensor had 31.6ohms and the brown sensor didn't show any resistance. I'm wondering if the sensor has gone, and hence why the error comes up but the vehicle doesn't go into limp mode.

I have ordered a code reader, and will get the printed output from the garage in the morning and put up the error codes that that gave out, but has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm tempted to try swapping out the brown sensor, but understand this could be a turbo issue as well, so keen to see if anyone can help shed some light. EML codes are a nightmare!!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Si

GettinOld  
GettinOld
Date registered 01.01.2022

RE: Mystery EML Problem - EGR sensor?

#2 by GettinOld , Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:11 am

Hi, so had a look and the two additional errors are:

52 - VGT control pressure
41 - throttle solenoid valve 1 command

I think 52 relates to the brown and black sensors mounted at the back of the block, and 41 is possibly a MAP sensor fault. Not sure how to test map sensor although I believe this could also be a fault with the turbo itself? Not sure how to investigate 41. But when I tested the resistance in the other two sensors I did get the brown one showing no resistance not the range the manual states I should have seen.

Any help and thoughts greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Si

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#3 by Heathen , Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:28 pm

The black solenoid controls the butterfly valve in the throttle body (just forward of the brown/black solenoids). This is supposed to activate when you switch the ignition off (meant to stop engine judder). If this isn't happening (easy to check), you can get error 41. Also, you'll probably find the turbo VGT lever isn't working as it should. These errors are very common if the vacuum tubes have been put on the solenoids the wrong way round - you had any work done on it recently? You could have a vacuum leak somewhere - try a vacuum gauge to see if you're getting a good vacuum feeding the solenoids. Most likely though is the solenoids need replacing - my advice is don't get cheap ones off ebay though.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen
Date registered 05.20.2016

#4 by GettinOld , Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:31 pm

Hi, many thanks for this. I suspect with one solenoid reporting no resistance and one reduced, that's possibly it. I have had it serviced, but there was no need to go near these solenoids. And it was playing up before the service. I will see if I can get a decent prices set. Any advice please on where to buy? Miller's want 135 quid for one of them which is huge. Seen them in eBay, also think a couple were on Amazon.co.uk.....

I would post link but can't as new to this site. It's made by a company called Terisass.

Not looked into this in any depth yet, but need to fix the blasted thing. Ordered a EML reader but that's taking forever to be delivered as well. I'll be an old man by the time I get it fixed!!

Thanks Heathen, much appreciated.

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#5 by GettinOld , Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:02 pm

Ha ha, Milners….auto correct on the iPad there!

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#6 by Heathen , Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:03 pm

I got the last set off ebay and they've worked fine for the last 4 years or so - the seller I got them from doesn't sell any more by the look of it though. I've bought ones from there before that have simply not worked - it's the one controlling the turbo that causes issues (wobbling turbo arm), so it's either take a gamble, or shell out for genuine - maybe a local motor factor could do better though?

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#7 by GettinOld , Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:06 pm

Yeah could give my local place a try but they don’t tend to be that cheap. I may have a go at one of the cheaper ones on the basis I can send back to Amazon if it doesn’t work. Ta.

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#8 by GettinOld , Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:37 pm

Heathen, sorry don5 suppose you know the part numbers/description for each valve do you? Seems disjointed between service manual and various sellers, so trying to buy the correct part is proving a *tad* confusing….ta….oh 2004/53 plated 2.5td, 4D56 K74. TIA, Si

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#9 by Heathen , Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:18 pm

MR226815 is the part number for both solenoids - comes with the metal back plate and the filters as well.

MR204853 and MR404682 are the part numbers for just the solenoids.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#10 by GettinOld , Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:40 pm

Found them on Milners quite good price, so brought there.

Many thanks Heathen, hoping it's all good and that's the issue as MUTIII Reader hasn't turned up.

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#11 by GettinOld , Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:41 pm

Okay so not the sensors, swapped them and still playing up. EML comes on randomly then stays on. Have to admit runs better now but still that light is on. I am still waiting on code reader, guess I will have to read code. Anyone know who can supply the vacuum hose and I will swap that. Nightmare when you get these blasted EMl issues. Useless things, half the time I think they are just there to fail vehicles on MOt and force you to buy new cars all the time - or am I just cynical?!?!! anyone any other ideas that I could check or look at please?

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#12 by GettinOld , Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:46 pm

So errors are 41 - throttle solenoid valve 1 command -present and 52 VGT control pressure - present. Don't yet know if I have any new errors yet.

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#13 by GettinOld , Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:45 pm

Fixed it!! Argh went back and checked thoroughly everything and extended search to all vacuum pipes in the system. Found the turbo actuator pipe had a split by the turbo solenoid, and the pipe from the manifold also had a split. Used some multi-purpose pipe I have (for fuel/vacuum/etc type jobs - brought batch load of multiple diameter a few years back when found at a discount in a car factors supplier), and the 3.5mm fits a treat, and worked like a charm - in fact it now runs better than it has in years! Stops nicely as well when you turn the engine off! Thanks for all the help, fingers crossed this stays away now!

Regards,

SW

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#14 by Heathen , Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:15 pm

Nice easy fix then - well done.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#15 by GettinOld , Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:46 pm

Wouldn't have found it without the pointers fella, many thanks.

:-)

Regards,

SW

GettinOld  
GettinOld

#16 by GettinOld , Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:50 pm

Did look like I had multiple issues though, so definitely a tough nut to crack.

GettinOld  
GettinOld

heater control panel
Heating problems

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor