tyre valves and bleed valve

#1 by paulw , Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:04 am

Firstly going to replace the air bleed and non return valves on filter housing. Got the air bleed valve ( wjn500110) but going through stuff I see there are two types of non return? DA 3950 shows a ducksbill insert, while VUB 503950 just shows a plug in unit? Which one do I use? my disco is a prefacelift (feb 2001) also to just get it right in my muddled head both valves are on the left of filter head front one is air bleed and back on non return?
Now second question, three of the tyre valves are leaking to the point I and pumping up every two weeks! Poor disco has been sorned since march 2020 and what with covid then me having to have chemo poor old girl has really moved.I run it back and forth on drive to stop flat spots but that is it.
NOW try as I might No mobile tyre fitters will come out and replace the valves on their own. Found these you tubes and wondered if it was worth giving it a go? Was going to take wheels off and run to a tyre fitter but dont really have the strength yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHgjfrNQlio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODk-vHtZLk&t=385s

thanks guys

did have warrior, but crossed over to disco 2.
Thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bringing more work!
Landies don't leak oil, they just sweat

paulw
Date registered 10.06.2011

RE: tyre valves and bleed valve

#2 by paulw , Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:59 pm

right while taking wheels off for valve replacement thinking of doing a quick refurb of paint, two questions wait until valves are done then respray? also not sure of standard silver ( simonize wheel paint) or change to an Anthracite, Body is Alciston red? Any views, also would it be an idea to laquer over as well, obviously sand and prime first,grey or red primer?
thanks guys

Thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bringing more work!

paulw

#3 by Saudirick , Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:19 pm

Paint first, then valves, they could be corroded around the valve base. I always use Auto Glum wheel silver. Gives a great shine straight out of the can, gest to use a grey primer underneath with silver though

Saudirick  
Saudirick
Date registered 10.13.2020

#4 by Rob1307 , Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:53 am

Hi Paul, if the valves are leaking where they have been pulled through the rim it’s probably corrosion in the alloy or the original paint/lacquer is coming off causing leaks. There is a good chance that it’s also starting to happen under the tyre bead also and will lead to leaks in the future 🙁. Best way to deal with it is to have the tyres removed and get them to clean the seating area and refit them with bead sealer ( it’s what we used to do at the garage )
I have no idea about the return valves as the last time I worked on a disco it was mine and it was petrol on carbs it was that old 😁

02 animal double cab back on the road after two years in a barn
shogun sport , not much I can say about it really other than it’s slower than the l200 🤷‍♂️
In hythe kent

Rob1307
Date registered 08.02.2014

#5 by paulw , Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:15 pm

had my tyres taken off, valves replaced,rims cleaned, bead sealer, great stuff all for 100 quid, and done on my drive. Thank you Lewis fron ontime tyres, great job

paulw

EGR Wire - Series 5
Cant fit new windscreen on l200 rotten aperture ?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor