The Apollo has landed

#1 by Greigboy , Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks to Paulw I'm the new owner of a K&N Apollo induction kit

Gave it a clean and re oil yesterday and fitted it today. All in all it was a piece of piss to fit I went with Basil and fitted the air intake into the original hole on the inner wing, viz the alloy collar.

Plus points
Took it a bash and there is a definete improvement in the throttle response and slight gain in acceleration.
There is now also plenty of room on the inner wing for say a set of airhorns and winch relay box ( santa you listening)

Negative points
I am well used to K&N filters I have twin cones currently on my V6 Sierra and they sound awsome a nice grisp induction growl, but the induction noise from the Apollo sounds like I am running with a shagged diff or no oil in the gearbox its really noisy in the cab, this is mainly due to there being no sound deadening inside the drivers wing therfore the sound from the air intake echos inside the wing unless I make some sort of baffle to frevent the noise travelling up the hollow wing cavity and into the cab. Other than plumbing it into a snorkel i think its something I'll have to get used to, its not as noticeable at higher speed, with the stereo up full

All in all still worth doing but not a mod for those who covet refinement

Here's the pics and a wee step by step how to
g39-Apollo.html

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

RE: The Apollo has landed

#2 by treeboa , Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:39 am

refinement in a classic

thats like asking for a mini bar in a tractor

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

try 7 up - snow white did

treeboa

#3 by Alan G , Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:35 pm

stick some expanding foam in the wing......... might work

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

#4 by Basil2 ( deleted ) , Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:47 pm

I`m glad its not just me with the head turning truck ("has his exhaust burst?") - you do get used to it but i wouldn`t necessarily recommend it to a street machine

Basil2

#5 by Greigboy , Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Posted by: Greigy
stick some expanding foam in the wing......... might work

I've got some spare kingspan foam in the loft that I'm going to cut to shape and see if that helps, I'm convinced it wouldn't be half as bad if there was an alternative air intake, the hollow of the wing amplifies the noise and channels it into the cab, but I don't want to mount it low down or behind the grille

@TB I'm with you on that, an Aston Martin they are not, I wouldn't mind the noise if it sounded the part but it sounds bloody awful, everyone that's been in it since thinks there is something wrong with it.

I'll see how I get on with the foam, may be an excuse to fit a snorkel

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
bargain winch?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor