HELP - Won't start after rebuild !

#1 by Biker62 , Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:40 am

Hi

I have a 2004 Warrior FBW which run a big end bearing. I have rebuilt the engine and can get it to fire but it dies after a few seconds and won't restart unless the fuel is bled at the injectors.
I rebuilt the engine with a new crank, conrod, big end and main bearings, balance shaft bearings, oil pump, clutch etc. It has recently had new glow plugs and a front pulley and timing belts and they are in good condition. I have checked the timing on the belt side and rechecked it several times - all pulleys are on the timing marks. I have adjusted the diesel injector pump to 1mm lift at 9 deg after TDC and rechecked this also. Having read through various threads, similar symptoms have been cured by changing the crank sensor. I have no means of checking the sensor so I bought a Mitsi one and replaced it anyway. No change however. I am at loss as to what to do next. I am very reluctant to replace the fuel pump or the ECU without knowing for sure that that is where the fault lies as they are ridiculously expensive. I have tried firing it up with fresh fuel in a container feeding directly into the filter assembly and also directly into the pump inlet with no difference found. The battery was off the vehicle for a few weeks. Would the ECU need reprogramming after having been without power for a while ? It does seem to be fuel related although there are electronics in the pump and ECU that could affect the fuel flow. I have checked that the stop solenoid is operating and have even tried to run it with a 12v lead directly connected to the solenoid. No luck.
Has anyone experienced these symptoms before ?

Dave

Biker62
Date registered 10.16.2011

RE: HELP - Won't start after rebuild !

#2 by Discodaz , Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:45 am

God almighty..thats some work you've put in there dave..unfortunately i havent a clue,but im sure someone will.hang in there

Daz

2003 l200 warrior double cab,black, Alpha gtx, canopy, De egr'd, De cat, Reversing camera, Bedrug load liner.mitzi power upgrade,led dash lights.

Founder member of " THE GLEAM TEAM "

Discodaz
Date registered 03.15.2013

#3 by fatboy , Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Does the EML light stay on after cranking?. When my crank sensor went ( I know you have changed yours) the ECU would go through the normal start up checks and extinguish the EML. After cranking it would come back on and stay on, after reading the code and changing the sensor it started.

Big Truck
53 plate Animal
Mountain top with 3" roll bar
8" spots on bar
Front over rider with more spots
Decatted
Egr removed
Osram nightbreakers fitted
1 Dead engine
It's Aliveeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

fatboy
Date registered 11.20.2011

#4 by Biker62 , Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:27 pm

No, the EML goes out and stays out.
I managed to solve the problem and had it fired up today and will take it out for a shakedown tomorrow.
There was air getting in under the spill rail and after removal, recleaning and retightning, it fired up after bleeding and continued to run.

I nearly bought a spill rail and injector feed pipes on my last Milners order and if I had, I probably wouldn't have had this problem.

Dave

Biker62
Date registered 10.16.2011

#5 by GSXRCarlos , Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:24 am

What's a spill rail?

Hijacking threads since 2014
Lancashire

GSXRCarlos
Date registered 09.16.2014

#6 by robl200 , Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:52 am

May sound really daft but I had exactly these symptoms after renewing the fuel system on mine. Turned out I had the feed and return lines backwards on the lift pump. Swapped em round and fired up no problem! My starter died fairly soon after as I'd spent so long cranking the bloody thing over! Donkey of the year moment there!

Y reg trojan 184k now sold after 8 years of off road shenanigans and rebuilds and laffs!!

02 4life 72k in pieces!!

robl200
Date registered 10.02.2011

#7 by McK , Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:02 am

I have seen this issue on a rebuilt Toyota.
After two fuel pumps, numerous timing checks and injectors in and out half a dozen times. It turned out to be a bad earth cable behind the block.
Symptoms were fire up then die after 30 sec.

McK  
McK
Date registered 09.09.2012

Last edited 11.02.2014 | Top

#8 by Ollie , Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:32 am

some graft you put in there mate.

Your Area Rep for Newcastle upon Tyne Did have several l200s
04plate warrior snorkel off road ats lifted needs more mods waiting on the store's to open
NEVER FOLLOW WOODY

Ollie
Date registered 10.02.2013

#9 by Greigboy , Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:36 am

Hopefully he has it going now as it was back in January

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

#10 by Ollie , Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:52 am

He must be on some test drive.

Your Area Rep for Newcastle upon Tyne Did have several l200s
04plate warrior snorkel off road ats lifted needs more mods waiting on the store's to open
NEVER FOLLOW WOODY

Ollie
Date registered 10.02.2013

#11 by Hound Dog , Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:29 pm

I had the same on mine but it was down the washers supplied with the new injectors the washers didn't have the 2 holes in them once supplied with the correct washers she fired and run.

2002 Black over Silver Animal, EGR and cooler removed, Decat pipe fitted, Wind deflector's, Winch Bumper
Snorkel to be fitted.
Twin Head Light Conversion (going up for sale)
ROADS? WHERE WERE GOING WE DON'T NEED ROADS!!

Hound Dog
Date registered 03.01.2014

Last edited 11.02.2014 | Top

#12 by Alan G , Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:13 pm

Yep he got it working, the fuel rail washers were drawing air so it wouldnt start but it took him a while to fugure out.

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
FEW LIFT QUESTIONS

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor