New to the world of l200's

#1 by Blingsta ( Guest ) , Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:34 am

Hi all, sorry to bother you all on a Sunday but I've decided after years of wanting one I'm gonna purchase a l200, now initially I'm looking to buy one for around the £3.5k figure to see how I get on, could anyone please advise what to look for where to start looking what I can expect to get? I'm an electrician so will only have a tool box in but will also be used as a vehicle to pop my kids,dog and bikes in. Please help if you can any advise will be greatly received thank you all in advance.

Blingsta

RE: New to the world of l200's

#2 by Blingsta ( Guest ) , Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:36 am

Sorry just to add I live oldbury West Midlands thanks

Blingsta

#3 by krutly , Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:43 am

hello matey
not everyone gets to see this section so why not register and join the forum ?
my guess would be for your money you should get a 2004ish warrior or the like but a lot depends on the mileage, condition, year, spec level,garage or private etc etc
things to look out for with a classic (1998 to 2005ish)are
rust on the front cross member and slam panel bit infront of the radiator
make sure the lowest pulley at the front does not wobble when it's running
make sure there are no bubbles forming in the overflow tank
make sure the 4x4 works but only test it on mud or gravel , not on tarmac or it'll break
check service history if it has one
give it a good test drive on some long hills and make sure it doesn't overheat
there are plenty of good ones out there so be patient
if you have any you are interested in then just stick a post up , there may even be someone close by that could go and look at it with you, you never know

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

Last edited 03.23.2014 | Top

#4 by Blingsta ( Guest ) , Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:50 am

Heh krutly,

Thank you for the advise.

I haven't really got a clue where to start people have tried to put me off for the last few years saying there gas guzzlers etc but I've had my fair share of hot hatches over the years which drink fuel and after having a van for the last few years I'm looking for something more.

I've looked at various ones on eBay but needed advise on questions to ask which is great what you've said.

I've just registered with the site so waiting for my log in access so hopefully can post properly soon.

Cheers for the advise mate

Blingsta

#5 by skotl , Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:51 am

Welcome, Blingsta

Wise words from Krutly - register for exactly £0.00 and you'll get access to tons of information and people that can help you.

There are lots of good L200s around and you should be able to get a decent one for £3,500 so walk away from anything that doesn't seem right!

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

#6 by Nick , Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 am

Quote: A guest wrote in post #1
Hi all, sorry to bother you all on a Sunday but I've decided after years of wanting one I'm gonna purchase a l200, now initially I'm looking to buy one for around the £3.5k figure to see how I get on, could anyone please advise what to look for where to start looking what I can expect to get? I'm an electrician so will only have a tool box in but will also be used as a vehicle to pop my kids,dog and bikes in. Please help if you can any advise will be greatly received thank you all in advance.

You are not bothering us on a Sunday mate, were all here for the banter etc.
As soon as you're upgraded you will see loads more of the Forum, get reading as it will help you find the right truck.
Don't be afraid to ask anything, we all had to start somewhere..

Nick.

2017 Ford Kuga AWD 180 Titanium X.
2018 Abarth 595 - Now Sold.
2013 Grey Barbarian - Now Sold
2006 Black Warrior (New Shape) - Now Sold
2005 Black Warrior (Classic) - Now Sold
Stoke On Trent

Nick
Date registered 10.02.2011

#7 by Blingsta ( Guest ) , Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:17 am

Cheers for the advise boys, I figured I might get heckled for being a lil wet behind the ears on the 4x4 scene but some really good things to look for.

I've been looking on eBay at loads but most have done quite a few miles any advise on sort of mileage I should be looking at?

Are ones with a reconditioned engine a no no?

I'm watching a few on eBay 231184121179 is one I'm particularly interested in if anyone has time to have a look what you think?

Thanks again

Blingsta

#8 by skotl , Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:34 am

Most of us were wet behind the ears re L200s before we joined this place

Re the recon engine - assuming that it was done right and you have faith in the work, then it could be an excellent buy as you would know that most of the unreliable areas had been addressed.
The problem is knowing whether it was a good engine, why it was done in the first place, and whether it was done well.

You also want to find out why the owner is selling and when the engine was replaced. It may have been a bodge job and they have spent months and many more hundreds (if not thousands) on trying to fix additional faults.
So definitely apply Krutly's list of tests no matter what the seller says about the engine.

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

Last edited 03.23.2014 | Top

#9 by Blingsta ( Guest ) , Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 am

Cheers skotl,

Just out of interest anyone ideas on mpg return,

And best place to get the vehicle insured.

Blingsta

#10 by Blingsta ( Guest ) , Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:48 am

Also I read on one of the posts to avoid 2003 53 plate ones is this true?

Blingsta

#11 by krutly , Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:54 am

mpg with road tyres and unmodified should be very low 30s
add mud tyres and other weighty modifications and it's low 20s
if mpg is an issue then twin tanking them and running veg oil is an option or running a mix in the warmer months should save you some money but worth reading up on both these options before jumping straight in.

I've had a 2003 53 plate for 9 years and it's never missed a beat
some have problems, some dont. Buying one on a 2002 or 2004 wont avoid any problems either.
just ask loads of questions and if you're unsure ask advice again before parting with cash
if you get a good one it should give you years of pleasure
get a wrong'un and it'll make you pull your hair out

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#12 by Blingsta ( Guest ) , Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Cheers krutly I'll keep everyone posted on my quest

Blingsta

#13 by Basil , Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Welcome matey, l200's of the older persuasion, are thirsty beasts, but then anything that weighs two tons with the aerodynamics of a housebrick wont return much better than 25mpg, some on here get around 30, driving like grannies wi ballet shoes on, but 25 is realistic as a generic mpg. I've had x2 older ones, one needed x2 engines, the other was awesome and needed nothing , except big tyres, big suspension, body lift, lightbar, big seats, ......you get the idea. 53
platers are generally accepted as the worst year for engine head gasket failure although patently with over 6000 sold each year in the uk, its just statistics that suggest this was the worst year. As krutters says his truck is fine (its the driver that has "issues)
Enjoy the forum, its good crack, and although the pi55 is often taken, it can be given in equal quantity

Basil

2007, Y plate 4life,
2010, 55 plate L200 4work++
March 2013, 11 plate Barbarian. Wrapped, OME all round, remapped to 210, straight piped 2.5" SS.

Basil
Forum Legend
Date registered 03.07.2012

#14 by Blingsta ( Guest ) , Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi all,

I think I may have found the warrior me it's a 55 plate warrior double cab with 82k on the clock, very good condition, with the only problems being a cracked fog light and a gas strut missing off the mountain top. It's had the same owner last 6 years a bloke I used to work with (he's now retired) He's looking for 3800 what people think? Does it sound a good price it's got t and t till December?

Also I'm looking at changing the mountain top for a canopy, could anyone advise on how much I should put the mountain top up for and if the canopy affects the mpg much

Cheers all excited at entering into the warrior world ha

Blingsta

#15 by Basil , Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Sounds good if all the usual checks pan out, canopy wont effect mpg much, as the mountain top stops the tub acting like an anchor.

2007, Y plate 4life,
2010, 55 plate L200 4work++
March 2013, 11 plate Barbarian. Wrapped, OME all round, remapped to 210, straight piped 2.5" SS.

Basil
Forum Legend
Date registered 03.07.2012

#16 by woody13 , Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Sounds cheap,if its as good as you say,grab it.Then when you've got it get yourself signed up on here,its free and all the info you're ever gonna need about your truck in on here...

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - North West England
2.8 Import,gone but not forgotten...
The Beast,never to be forgotten...
The Big Silver Beastie,soon to be reborn...

The Frankenfender is on its way....

woody13
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.05.2011

#17 by robert3040 , Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:07 pm

£3800 would be a really good price find out more about the trucks service history,belt changes,bottom pulley being the main ones.
In general the fog lights on the classic rot away so I wouldn't bother abou a cracked one ,the gas strut I'm not sure of the price but replaceable.

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - Central Scotland

" going where you ain't been"

robert3040
Date registered 05.09.2012

#18 by krutly , Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 pm

I may be able to help you source replacement fogs depending on what they look like
mate of mine sold his mountain top not long ago for about £200 if that gives you a guideline
I've never noticed any difference in mpg with the different backs on but having knobbly tyres will kill your mpg for sure
and the price doesn't sound too bad , people have paid a lot more to get a lot less

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#19 by Blingsta ( Guest ) , Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Heh all cheers for the comments I'm going to have the second look and get my mechanic to cast his eye over it Friday so fingers crossed, got my login details so going to get involved on the main forum cheers peeps

Blingsta

#20 by woody13 , Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 pm

Nice one Blingsta,hope it work out for ya and welcome to the forum....

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - North West England
2.8 Import,gone but not forgotten...
The Beast,never to be forgotten...
The Big Silver Beastie,soon to be reborn...

The Frankenfender is on its way....

woody13
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.05.2011

#21 by Motorman ( Guest ) , Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi all new to l200 I've seen one in Falkirk on auto trader it 55reg 90000 miles on clock fsh with side steps and roll cage and bull bars,going to see it on Saturday wot should I be looking at.

Motorman

#22 by krutly , Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:23 am

Hi motorman
things to check
things to look out for with a classic (1998 to 2005ish)are
rust on the front cross member and slam panel bit infront of the radiator
make sure the lowest pulley at the front does not wobble when it's running
make sure there are no bubbles forming in the overflow tank
make sure the 4x4 works but only test it on mud or gravel , not on tarmac or it'll break
check service history if it has one
give it a good test drive on some long hills and make sure it doesn't overheat
there are plenty of good ones out there so be patient
if you have any you are interested in then just stick a post up , there may even be someone close by that could go and look at it with you, you never know
hope this helps

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Performance Chips

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor