Starter motor question

#1 by Woodland , Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 am

Hi all,

Quick question about my starter motor.

I got in my truck this morning and when I turned the ignition it turned over a couple of times and then it sounded like the starter disengaged and spun freely. If I'm not mistaken the starter engages by a solenoid pushing the cog forward? Is this correct and if it's a failing solenoid then do I need to replace just that or the whole starter?

If I'm barking up the wrong tree could someone put me straight?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kieren

03 L200

On it.

Woodland  
Woodland
Date registered 02.22.2013

RE: Starter motor question

#2 by Woodland , Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 am

Should note, it did start eventually but had the same problem when trying to start it to get it home again.

On it.

Woodland  
Woodland

#3 by diggermandan , Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 pm

You coming down on Sunday Kieren? There is a meet just off J21A of the M25. Drive it down and we can take a look maybe? Try and record the noise next time you start it as someone might recognise the symptom a little better

Probably the least effective ever AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'93 Strada double cab, broken... 5 years off the road, list of things to repair just about getting shorter!
'94 Strada double cab 'parts truck'... too good to break?

diggermandan
Date registered 01.22.2012

#4 by Discodaz , Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Sounds like the bendix is shafted on the starter..you can get replacements for about 15 quid..easy enough job to do

Daz

2003 l200 warrior double cab,black, Alpha gtx, canopy, De egr'd, De cat, Reversing camera, Bedrug load liner.mitzi power upgrade,led dash lights.

Founder member of " THE GLEAM TEAM "

Discodaz
Date registered 03.15.2013

#5 by Woodland , Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Quote: diggermandan wrote in post #3
You coming down on Sunday Kieren? There is a meet just off J21A of the M25. Drive it down and we can take a look maybe? Try and record the noise next time you start it as someone might recognise the symptom a little better

Sadly can't make it on Sunday due to work commitments, but thanks for asking. Shame really as I've got an awful lot of questions I could do with asking.

Daz, where can I get a bendix from? Is it the bit that pushes the cog forward?

On it.

Woodland  
Woodland

#6 by Discodaz , Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Its part of it..its a really common fault on these..my mate had exactly the same issue..he got the bendix from ebay from an Irish seller..he also has a video on you tube explaining how to change it..be carefull though,i believe theres two different types..i will try to find one for ya

Daz

2003 l200 warrior double cab,black, Alpha gtx, canopy, De egr'd, De cat, Reversing camera, Bedrug load liner.mitzi power upgrade,led dash lights.

Discodaz

#7 by Discodaz , Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I think this is the guy..ask if it fits your model

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-MITS...=item257bf17c69

Here's his vid how to

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PV74-_wK0fY

Daz

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Discodaz

#8 by Woodland , Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks very much mate. If I'm not mistaken it's just a difference between 10 and 12 teeth. I'll get on to him. Appreciate your help mate.

On it.

Woodland  
Woodland

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
track rod ends

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor