just sorted my self a 53 plate classic !

#1 by jonboy07 ( Guest ) , Thu May 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi guys,

I have signed up for the forum, im just awaiting the account being activated, as above I have just done a deal with a friend for his 53 plate classic!!!

really I am just looking to see what the score really is with them and what I should be looking for when I go to pick it up

Firstly, are these "53 plates" really that bad, all horror stories of heads going etc etc, im well aware that you tend to find more negative reviews as people complain more than compliment, saying that, this one has recently had a new head lol, however, I know he looks after his motors and itj been fixed and just had MOT etc etc, OH worth mentioning its a warrior with full leather etc, ill be using it for work and day to day, but no major loads or towing, but I do need reliable for the obvious!

im very experienced with working on motors and am an enthuisiast, im currently never out of the bonnet of a hevily modded celica gt4 (4x4 lol), servicing with be religious, and from what I have read, a decat and EGR removal will be needing done too??? as well as belts and pullies etc, will this likely keep it right?

also, is there any specific areas/things to check etc when picking up?

many thanks in advance, look forward to hearing from you

john

jonboy07

RE: just sorted my self a 53 plate classic !

#2 by krutly , Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 pm

hello matey
sounds like you know your way round an engine. Yes there are horror stories but then there are plenty you dont hear about too. All mine has had done to it (53 plate) is a new bottom pulley as mine had started to delaminate, belts and tensioners done at around 60,000,EGR removal and Decat. Apart from that it's serviced twice a year regardless of miles (sometimes only does 4,000 between services)and has been no trouble at all since I've had it (8 or 9 years).
Once you get upgraded you'll be able to access all the forum, all the tech pages and be able to ask all the questions you like. This section is not seen by everybody so any questions,comments or concerns you may have , just post them up and clever people will hopefully have the answers for you. And the rest of us not so clever people will take the pi55 out of each other and take the threads off topic

checklist

cambelt history
engine history
play in bottom pulley
rust on front cross member
bubbles in header tank
temp gauge not going over half way
engages and disengages 4WD (dont do this on tarmac)
flashy 4x4 green light goes off after doing this
aircon works (assuming it's got AC)

I'm sure others will add to this if I've missed anything important

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
l200 rear body

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor