Battery Drain

#1 by robert3040 , Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:07 pm

@LezT Left the truck @ the Airport for a week and returned to a flat battery.

2 weeks later and I've had a look at trying to sort this problem.The battery is being drained whilst sitting;After removing individual fuses Ive found drains of ;

0.19 from Ignition fuse
0.09 from Lamps fuse
0.09 from Battery fuse

During testing I also found

Alternator output 13.93 @ tick over dropping to 13.00 with lights and blower on full.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome .

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - Central Scotland

" going where you ain't been"

robert3040
Date registered 05.09.2012

Last edited 06.02.2014 | Top

RE: Battery Drain

#2 by Cam , Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:31 pm

I've had a problem like this before with my Trooper, there was a parasitic drain on the battery, the only way the battery didn't drain was to disconnect it, I went through the removing of fuses etc, turned out to be the Alternator that was at fault, simplest test.................when the engine is stone cold (first thing) before starting the engine physically touch the Alternator, it should be cold as you'd expect but if it is remotely warm it is more than likely the alternator that's at fault

Isuzu Trooper 3.0Td Citation LWB,
60mm Lift with Monroe Adventure Shocks, Superwinch X9 with Plasma Rope, 255/85x16 (33's) BFG Mud Terrains, 2m/70cms Radio
Amateur Radio: MM6KCV

Vectra B Estate V6 2.5 CDX.............The other Toy

Cam
Date registered 09.05.2012

RE: Battery Drain

#3 by LezT , Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Rab easy test for what is at fault between the battery or the truck... Firstly do teh same current drain in the main battery line, either the neg or the pos..
Make sure the doors are closed and the interior light is out ( ignition ring light stays on for about 30 secs I think )
THen you can see exactly what the truck is drawing from the battery...
if it's about 25mA then I wouldn't worry... How old is the battery...?.. as you can get a fair standing discharge from an older battery... and water levels in the battery very impostant..
Your readings would seem a little high for my liking but I would imagine that you missed some things that were still active in the Leccy system..

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ
Kenwood TS670.. Yaesu FT575GX.. YaesuFT8800D.....Yaesu FT897
Yaese FT101ZD......20M BitX3C TXRX
Kenwood Chef.....Goblin Teasmaid

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons”
FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.01.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team: