Strange engine noise

#1 by Mike the fish ( Guest ) , Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:52 am

Hi All.
I have an 03 club cab, done 80,000 had a problem for the last 3weeks engine runs fine for 20 mins or so drives well and then when slowing down in traffic there is a strange noise, almost sounds like another engine along side and then when I stop at lights or a junction there is a loud clunk , and the 4wheel drive light comes on and flashes,and when I pull away the noise has gone the light flashes for approx 10to15 mins drives well again untill it repeats itself all over again at various intervals.
Took it too a garage they say I might need a new gear box!!!! But there has been no clunking in and out of gear and there is no problem when going through the gears.
They took it for a test drive ,I wasn't with them and of course the noise didn't happen, I don't think they drove it long enough ?
Many thanks for any comments or suggestions on what the problem could be.?
Mike.

Mike the fish

RE: Strange engine noise

#2 by LezT , Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:18 am

Losing vacuum from the system when revs are low, need to give the vac system a once over but you'll naad a vac guage, ( about £20 from the Bay of E's)... very likely a pipe with a split in, that needs replacing..
Whereabouts are you..?

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ
Kenwood TS670.. Yaesu FT575GX.. YaesuFT8800D.....Yaesu FT897
Yaese FT101ZD......20M BitX3C TXRX
Kenwood Chef.....Goblin Teasmaid

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons”
FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.01.2011