Step by step guide for rear axle replacement?

#1 by dazmanf , Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Is there one?
Figured if I'm getting new shocks now, it may be the perfect opportunity to put my 03 warrior axle in and take the 01 Trojan axle out, also how do I remove the springy thing (novice term) on the member that goes to the axle with fluid points.
All rusty and want to replace with warrior parts.
Front axle will be done later

2003 warrior RIP Monday 10th February 2014
2001 trojan green over silver, 30mm wheel spacers, all terrains, side steps removed, egr blanked, air con unit, rad and tension plate removed.
Trojan died the ole bitch, driving a Peugeot 406 now ffs

dazmanf
Date registered 09.07.2012

RE: Step by step guide for rear axle replacement?

#2 by Antonio , Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:11 am

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Quote: dazmanf wrote in post #1
Is there one?
Figured if I'm getting new shocks now, it may be the perfect opportunity to put my 03 warrior axle in and take the 01 Trojan axle out, also how do I remove the springy thing (novice term) on the member that goes to the axle with fluid points.
All rusty and want to replace with warrior parts.
Front axle will be done later

Hi @dazmanf
hope this is of help, i think you are posting about the spring you see in the picture i have above....this is linked to the brake propotioning valve (with the three brake pipes comming out of it, the midle one goes to the rear axle) just take off the bolt you see in the picture (13-14mm spanner )....very wise to soak it with WD for a while before takin it off!!!

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - North East England - Lincolnshire
1998 twin cab, import,3" Full chrome bars/spots all round, tints,deflectors, 2.5" suspension lift, 2.5" body lift, polly bushes, rear diff lock, 33"x12.5" KL71 tyres on 15"x10" rims.
Snorkel........OH!! and lots of rust.
1991 Pajero 2.5td SWB, import
1996 Pajero 2.8td LWB, import
NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio
Date registered 04.21.2014

#3 by Antonio , Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:48 am

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Again @dazmanf hope this is of use to you:
make sure you have well soaked all nuts etc in WD or equivelant!!!
Jack as high as you can safely, axle stands etc. and take wheels off. I would take spare wheel out first just gives more room to work in.
clamp to stop fluid loss and undo the brake hose on the axle, once you have undone the hose/brake-line take out the retaining clip (you will see a metal lip above the braket on the pipe side)this is a fork type, just prise it out with a screwdriver.
With the spring above (first post i sent) off and any other conections, ABS sensors, breather pipe on the diff etc,take the bolts/nuts off the prop/diff (you can support prop with a bit of rope etc.)
Support the axle with a trolly jack and undo the U-bolts on each side, use the jack to separate spring/axle.
You should have room to slide the axle out, be aware this is arkward and heavy....you could need a hand mate.....
If your changing bushes in shackles etc. once leaf springs are down just roll axle out on trolly jack.

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - North East England - Lincolnshire
1998 twin cab, import,3" Full chrome bars/spots all round, tints,deflectors, 2.5" suspension lift, 2.5" body lift, polly bushes, rear diff lock, 33"x12.5" KL71 tyres on 15"x10" rims.
Snorkel........OH!! and lots of rust.
1991 Pajero 2.5td SWB, import
1996 Pajero 2.8td LWB, import
NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio
Date registered 04.21.2014

#4 by Rob1307 , Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:50 am

Make a note of spring tension on brake proportion valve and how it is set up , when I got my truck it had been played with by previous owner so first load of logs in it and sailed out of a junction with hardly any brake effort to the back

02 animal double cab back on the road after two years in a barn
shogun sport , not much I can say about it really other than it’s slower than the l200 🤷‍♂️
In hythe kent

Rob1307
Date registered 08.02.2014

#5 by krutly , Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:35 am

did we ever come to any conclusion as to whether the "spring thingy" needed to be spaced once a body lift and shackles were done ?

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#6 by Rob1307 , Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:44 am

Body lift shouldn't affect it as its bolted to the chassis , shackles may alter the tension on it . Someone who has fitted shackles may be able to answer this better

02 animal double cab back on the road after two years in a barn
shogun sport , not much I can say about it really other than it’s slower than the l200 🤷‍♂️
In hythe kent

Rob1307
Date registered 08.02.2014

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
BLACK THINGY

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor