Should I buy an L200?

#1 by PaulC ( Guest ) , Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:00 am

Hi there, just wondering if any of you geniuses can give me an informed opinion.

I'm after a double cab pick up to use for work (I have a small electrical/property renovation
Firm) and to drag my caravan about with.

I'm looking for something reliable and love the look of the L200 and they seem to fit the bill! But sadly I'm reading many horror stories regarding bottom pulleys, slipped cambelts and head gasket failure!

I've seen a very tidy 05 plate with 110k on locally which is at a dealer and within my budget! Are these motors (or this one in partrticular) a bit of a risk? We've booked for France in the caravan next year so I'm understandably a little nervous!

Are the poor reviews justified or is it just a case of bad news travels fast? I'm hoping to
Hear from long term owners about what these trucks are like in the real world!!!

P.s. I'm a long time 4x4 owner and I appreciate that short comings of these vehicles in the refinement department but having started with leaf sprung landies I honestly couldn't care! I prefer my vehicles rugged!

Can't wait to hear your replies! And btw, I have taken the time to
Register!

Many thanks,

Paul

PaulC

RE: Should I buy an L200?

#2 by Basil , Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 am

Good lad, I've run x3 l200s for my forestry company and as business vehicles theyre great, well, the first one wasnt, but the second classic 4work was brilliant, and the new shape I run now is very, very good. Preventative medicine is whats called for with classic l200s get a good one to start with, then do everything to keep it cool. Egr cooler removal, bottom pulley replacement, decat, extra manual leccy fan....all help with peace of mind, but its a machine, so its arse might still fall out one day..enjoy

2007, Y plate 4life,
2010, 55 plate L200 4work++
March 2013, 11 plate Barbarian. Wrapped, OME all round, remapped to 210, straight piped 2.5" SS.

Basil
Forum Legend
Date registered 03.07.2012

Last edited 11.05.2014 | Top

#3 by krutly , Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:45 am

I've had mine about 9 years now
never missed a beat. Usual stuff replaced ....... tryes,pads,bushes,belts,glowplugs,bottom pulley etc ......... no more than you would have with any vehicle if you own it for that amount of time
service history is all important on these and at 110k it's gonna need all the belts replacing if they haven't been done very recently. The good bit about buying from a dealer will be a warranty. Check it doesn't over heat (put you foot down on a long hill if you can) make sure there are no bubbles in the expansion tank. Check the 4x4 light stops flashing when you start the truck (easily fixable most times if it stays flashing). Check for rust on the cross members especially the front one. Check the 4wheel drive works but make sure you are on gravel/grass etc to do this or you can cause damage to the diff.
stick some more details up of the truck you're looking at (even a website if they have one) and people will give you their views on it if you're unsure

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#4 by PaulC ( Guest ) , Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:02 pm

So then,

went to see that L200 this morning. took it our for a drive and within 1.5 miles the temp gauge was in the red and the heater was stone cold and the matrix was gargling behind the dash! marvellous I thought! we pulled over for a look and the radiator was barely warm. I suspected Thermostat or water pump at fault but unsure! we jumped back in to take it back to the garage and the heaters did start to blow warm on and off and when they did blow warm the temp dropped but the lowest it got was just about half way on the gauge.

the garage owner is getting their mechanic to look at it this afternoon and theyre going to call me. theyre offering a 6 month warranty with some outfit called warranties 2000 with the option to extend to 12 months for 150 quid. unless that warranty is 100% water tight im going to leave it.

have to say im disappointed as it drove well and looked lovely!

Paul

PaulC

#5 by krutly , Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:32 pm

I hate to say this but if it were me I'd walk away ........ in fact I'd probably run away if I'm honest
questions you gotta ask yourself are
why is it overheating (probably head gasket)
how long has it been like that (other damage could easily have been done)
did the previous owner part ex it just to get rid (possible money pit)
do you trust a garage that is selling a truck that overheats (I wouldn't)
would you buy something you know has a problem ....... which will soon become your problem
imagine what would happen if you try and tow your caravan with it

there are plenty out there bud, dont get disheartened even if you had your sights set on this one, take your time and get a good one
any questions then just ask, there may even be someone local to you that could take a look at one for you

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#6 by Greigboy , Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:44 pm

That won't be the matrix gurgling it'll be combustion gasses gurgling in the expansion tank, classic symptoms of a head gasket failure or a cracked head very common I'm afraid, run a mile from it as it will bite you in the arse.
Bear in mind car sales don't want to spend money, best case it's a few hundred for the gasket or the best part of a grand for a head, and we have seen them fail again months down the line due to warped blocks etc, and you have no idea what bodged repairs have already been done to keep it going long enough to flog it, I can almost hear the radweld being poured into it from here

Tbh if your needing a truck for your livelyhood then a 9 year old truck of any marque probably isn't the way to go, and unpopular as it may be here, there is no way I'd buy a classic L200 that my income was going to depend on. Spend a bit more on a newer truck the other side of 100k miles and full dealer history, still no guarantee but gives you a fighting chance.

How much were they asking out of interest?

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

#7 by PaulC ( Guest ) , Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:59 pm

yeah, I reckon its moody.

I don't as such need it for my livelihood, we have a couple of vans. it would just be handy. I'm in no particular rush and ill just wait for the right one to come along! they were asking £4495.

it was a nice looking thing with rear canopy, full set of nearly new BFG all-terrains.

something I found odd was it had a tow bar but no electrics. im inclined to think someone has pulled the electrics off it to prevent anyone towing anything with it and it boiling up. as far as im aware the dealer is reputable and has traded round these parts for a long long time so I think they've just been unlucky with this one! outfit is called east Cleveland motors, the vehicle is on their website for anyone intrested in having a look.

Paul

PaulC

#8 by Greigboy , Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:01 pm

In any event don't touch it with a barge pole, there's plenty about for that kind of money

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

#9 by PaulC ( Guest ) , Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Dealer has just called me and has said they think its the water pump, they're going to change that and the cambelt and give it an oil service.

he asked if I wanted to leave a deposit but I said id like to keep my options open at this stage, I didn't want to lead the guy on! I asked him to give me a call when its done and I might pop back for another look but in the meant time I'd be looking around as theres a few about at that price. I'm also not entirely convinced the waterpump will solve it.

shame really but hey ho.

the search continues!

PaulC

#10 by woody13 , Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Yeah,I'd give it a wide berth,the dealer is super keen to get rid,so he knows what he's got on his hands.

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - North West England
2.8 Import,gone but not forgotten...
The Beast,never to be forgotten...
The Big Silver Beastie,soon to be reborn...

The Frankenfender is on its way....

woody13
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.05.2011

#11 by Lemmy , Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Cambelt will only slip if fitted by a nob. Whatever you buy truckwise, if you're looking at decade old examples you'll be quite likely to buy into a problem of some sort.

Lemmy  
Lemmy
Date registered 02.13.2014

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
2004 animal getting hot

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor