altenator

#1 by mark1962 ( Guest ) , Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:15 pm

I left my 55 l200 stood up for two weeks and hired a van to work in Swansea and when I got back I started the warrior up but things didn't feel right, it run like a bag of shit and just died 10 miles down the road. I got it to a garage and they sold me a new battery and whan I drove off it still was'nt right, lights on dash were dim, it still ran a bit rough and when idling it wanted to konk out unless reved. what is wrong with it?? having just spent £1200 on a new turbo I don't really want to be shelling out hard earned cash AGAIN!

mark1962

RE: altenator

#2 by diggermandan , Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Your battery shouldn't affect your idle.... WHat does your dash volmeter say? it should read 14.5V ish if you alternator is working. Rough running an d an unstable idle could be anything from timing, fuelling, electrics of the new turbo isn't set correctly.
Check your voltmeter
Change your fuel filter <<< This commonly fixes rough running.
Whip off the top timing cover and check the fuel pump and cam are lined up correctly
Check your turbo is operating correctly

Probably the least effective ever AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'93 Strada double cab, broken... 5 years off the road, list of things to repair just about getting shorter!
'94 Strada double cab 'parts truck'... too good to break?

diggermandan
Date registered 01.22.2012

#3 by mark1962 ( Guest ) , Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:42 pm

[quote=diggermandan|p280476]Your battery shouldn't affect your idle.... WHat does your dash volmeter say? it should read 14.5V ish if you alternator is working. Rough running an d an unstable idle could be anything from timing, fuelling, electrics of the new turbo isn't set correctly.
Check your voltmeter
Change your fuel filter <<< This commonly fixes rough running.
Whip off the top timing cover and check the fuel pump and cam are lined up correctly
Check your turbo is operating correctly[/quote]

the voltmeter is down on 12- and not rising, dash lights are flickering. The rest of what you said means nothing to me diggerman im a bricklayer and never had anything to do with machanicals

mark1962

#4 by diggermandan , Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:46 pm

if the voltmeter is down at 12 while the engine is on, you aren't charging your battery.

'93 Strada double cab, broken... 5 years off the road, list of things to repair just about getting shorter!

diggermandan

#5 by Guest , Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:47 pm

i had it jump started will that cause any problems?

#6 by Guest , Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:49 pm

thank you diggerman but what I don't understand is why? why would an altenator stop working because the truck was parked up for a fortnight?

#7 by diggermandan , Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Possibly wasn't working beforehand, it got wet in the recent bad weather? OR the alternator has been disconnected. You can check that through your drivers side wheelarch.

diggermandan

Last edited 11.15.2014 | Top

#8 by mark1962 ( Guest ) , Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:04 pm

I will check that now thank you.

mark1962

#9 by robl200 , Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:55 pm

Have been through several alternators in my truck. There are two electrical connections to it, a live (insulated ring terminal) and a plug on the side of it

Y reg trojan 184k now sold after 8 years of off road shenanigans and rebuilds and laffs!!

02 4life 72k in pieces!!

robl200
Date registered 10.02.2011

#10 by mark1962 ( Guest ) , Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:24 pm

all plugs and wires in place. footwell dry and all earths ok as someone sugested, water may have got in somewhere.

mark1962

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Shogun Sport Fault Code 46

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor