top engine noise

#1 by BarryB ( Guest ) , Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:05 pm

I have a 2004 Turbo Diesel 85HP L200, had from new and regularly serviced. Recently the power steering pulleys and belt needed to be replaced, at the same time the mechanic put in new glow plugs and replaced the air conditioning belt that had snapped at some point. Got the car back, started and it ran perfectly apart from a slight whirring noise from the starter motor a second or two before the engine started. The next morning, turned the key and nothing happened. I bashed the starter motor a couple of times and it started and ran perfectly for 10 miles, when I stopped the car to park the engine juddered quite severely so I immediately switched it off. When I tried to start it again a little later there was nothing - bashing the starter motor didn't work either. I never had any problems with the starter motor prior to this. Tried to start it using an external power source with jump leads but this still didn't work even though it has a new high power battery. Eventually bump started it and let the engine tick over for a short while. When I had driven about half a mile there was a knocking sound coming from the engine. As the speed increased through the gears so did the noise, I let it coast in neutral and the noise stopped but it started again when it was in gear. I took it back to the mechanic and he replaced the starter motor with a brand new one. At first he couldn't get it to work and had the same 1-2 second whirring noise as with the old one, he removed it and reinstalled it and it worked fine. I collected the car to bring it home and the same knocking noise happened as before, we have left it with the mechanic who says it probably needs a new engine. The engine still runs fine except for the noise that is coming from the top of the engine, possibly third cylinder. It runs perfectly, no oil leaks and has done approx 200,000kms. When idling the noise sounds like a tappet but when running it is much louder, it has been suggested that possibly part of the old/new glow plug had broken off and is in the cylinder. I also think there must be a connection between the pulleys, the glow plugs and the starter motor to be the problem. We live in Belgium and the nearest Mitsubishi main dealer is about 40 miles away and I don't want to damage the car by driving it further. I feel sure that it is something simple but what I don't know, any ideas would be much appreciated. Many thanks Barry

BarryB

RE: top engine noise

#2 by 123hotchef , Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:10 pm

if part of the glow plug has broken off the mechanic would or shpould have noticed unless he is a complete numpty!

if it is in there it may be able to be fished out through the glow plug hole once the plug is removed

no connection IMO between starter motor pulleys and plugs

how is the bottom pulley though ?

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
4WD dashboard light

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor