RalliArt upgrade, new stereo, new lights.

#1 by SIB , Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm

I've left my Raging Bull pretty much standard since i bought it new 2 years ago but fancied having a bit of a tinker with it lately.

First on the list was the RalliArt upgrade which boosts the BHP from 136 - 165(ish). More importantly for me was the extra "grunt" mid range and more acceleration in 3rd gear as I often fear over taking anything if there's the slightest chance of another car on the other side of the orad visable! lol. I don't know how much is psychological and how much it's actually improved but since fitting the chip the truck feels more responsive, ride feels smoother, and i definately notice a difference in acceleration. Also seem to be getting slightly better milage according to the info panel but i don't know how accurate that is. Will find out when i nect need to refuel i guess . I was going to get Mitsi to fit the chip as they were giving me a discount on it after quoting me the wrong figures for the model i have (long story!!) but i managed to pick one up second hand off a 2008 manual Warrior so with the help of my mate who knows a LOT more about cars than me we fitted it in a lunch break.

Next came the new stereo. I was originally going to replace the info panel with a double din DVD player / stereo like the Barbarian has but realised I'd miss that panel more than I'd use a DVD player (and a Smart Nav system and Blueconnect came as standard on the truck) so opted for a single din direct replacement for the standard Mitsi stereo. The Raging Bull comes with a 6 speaker, 430W (i think) setup so I've kept that in and bought a JVC DAB+ Stereo giving me USB connectivity, ipod control, etc. Sounds and looks excellent, a worthy upgrade

Over the weekend I changed the candles Mitsi call lights and put some Osram Nightbreakers in there. The difference is night and day (bad pun i know but what did you expect??)

I have a K&N panel filter due this week which I'll be fitting after reading several people comments elsewhere it's a worthy upgrade. Cant do any harm getting some extra air into the box i guess

Next on my list is replacing the horns with something that sounds more like a truck and less like a Fiat Panda!! Probably going to go for a direct replacement system as air horns seem a bit of a hassle although I'm stuggling to work out how to GET to the original horns (i can see them but don't knowhow to access them). Anyone advise?

2010 Raging Bull from new, Trux full box, (Roll and Lock removed!!), K&N Filter, JVC DAB+ Stereo, reverse camera in rear view mirror.

SIB
Date registered 02.20.2012

RE: RalliArt upgrade, new stereo, new lights.

#2 by Deleted User , Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Hey SIB be careful with the ralliart upgrades, my mitsi dealer advised me to stay awy from them and said get a remap instead, they said that the engines dont like the ralliart chips and that they have had issues!!!

I have the K&N filter on mine but i havent noticed much difference apart from turbo whistle, but saying that my engine does have alot of extra weight.

Raj

#3 by SIB , Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 am

Thanks for the heads up Raj, that's a bit worrying if it's the same chip they fitted to the Animal as standard and were going to fit to my truck too!! I've heard a few reports of L200 engines blowing but obviously there must be 1000's of them fitted with the chip and running fine. Are there any signs i should look out for or does it just go Bang? I don't tow or carry heavy loads in mine so the engine is never overly stressed although a bit worried now

2010 Raging Bull from new, Trux full box, (Roll and Lock removed!!), K&N Filter, JVC DAB+ Stereo, reverse camera in rear view mirror.

SIB

#4 by ebony266 , Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:50 am

SIB pictures please !!

ebony266
Date registered 10.27.2011

#5 by Deleted User , Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 am

Posted by: SIB
Thanks for the heads up Raj, that's a bit worrying if it's the same chip they fitted to the Animal as standard and were going to fit to my truck too!! I've heard a few reports of L200 engines blowing but obviously there must be 1000's of them fitted with the chip and running fine. Are there any signs i should look out for or does it just go Bang? I don't tow or carry heavy loads in mine so the engine is never overly stressed although a bit worried now

When i spoke to them they did say its trucks that look like theyve been abused i.e. ragging the crap outta them, but im sure if you dont over stress the engine you should be fine.

Raj

#6 by adriandiesel , Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:01 pm

im sure they remapped the early new shapes that came with chips fitted as they had problems with them

black 55 plate animal, storm decat, ggat2s, roller shutter, bonnet struts,92000miles owned from new
live in cambs egr removed

adriandiesel  
adriandiesel
Date registered 10.31.2011

#7 by Benson , Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:33 pm

My 2007 Animal was remapped by the dealer last year, very noticeable reduction in performance and, once done, cannot be put back to the original mapping.
I'm not overly bothered as it isn't used very hard, but if I had of needed the performance I would be mightily pi55sed!

2007 Animal in grey
Belts done @ 62.5k
Reversing camera - broke
265/75/16 BFG AT's on black modulars.

Benson
Date registered 10.30.2011

#8 by Bootsie , Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Apparently they can only be re-mapped once according to Ralliart.

2006 'new shape' from new 66000 miles, no problems, just serviced every 12k miles.

Bootsie  
Bootsie
Date registered 10.02.2011

#9 by Yoda , Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 pm

A bespoke re-map done by someone who cares and who knows what the limits of the engine are, is the way to go. DieselBob does one for around £300 which isn't too bad when you think what an after market chip costs. Re-mapping by rights is safe when done well. If I HAD to fit a chip I would have the RalliArt one though. I'm with everyone else here on the countless others out there.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

#10 by SIB , Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 am

Cheers for all the comments, I had thought about a re-map but was told these can often be over written at a regular service. I won't be thrashing the truck or straining the engine pulling heavy loads so hopefully it'll be OK

SIB

#11 by SIB , Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:24 am

Posted by: ebony266
SIB pictures please !!

Will take some over the weekend and post them up

SIB

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
K&N Air Filter

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor