Desperate for advice.

#1 by o0benski0o ( Guest ) , Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 am

Hi folks, I've just filled in the registration for the second time and hoping it'll be approved soon as I'm running out of time and money on my truck fix.

Basically the crankbolt sheered off my engine whilst driving along a couple of months ago and combined with a blown head gasket I decided to go down the recon route and got myself an engine and a mechanic to fit it.

It's had plenty of things done which I'll list at the end but I'm at the stage now where the engine fires from cold and runs albeit not feeling and sounding as I'd expect it too but there is no reading from the Rev counter and when you shut the engine off and try to fire again it won't. Try it again when cold it fires and then the same again.

Initially the crank sensor was damaged and that has been changed...a few times to be fair because the initial blade supplied was bent!

So here is the list of things done to see if it helps with the diagnosis -

Recon engine in (yes I know I should have gone genuine new but it's too late now)
New crank pulley
New crank sensor (now the 4th)
New (second replacement)
New clutch
New glow plugs
New injectors (with new washers)
Recon turbo

It really seems like an electrical problem to me, maybe the crank sensor isn't relaying a message? maybe it's not getting power,power? maybe the ECU is telling it to stop reading?

I'm hoping to have a diagnostic pc attached tomorrow to clear and ECU error messages but will that help? Could that be all it needs? Has anybody else experienced this?

I've been hiring a van for work since it happened and it's just zapping my funds. ... [anyone]

Thanks in advance of any advice and registration approval

Ben

o0benski0o

RE: Desperate for advice.

#2 by 123hotchef , Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:45 am

Hi Ben

we really need to know the fault code when u plug it into the diagnostic machine post up the code mate.

you dont say what year or what kind of truck this is on that would also help

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by ronniecabers , Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:43 am

could the fuel pump timing be out?

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#4 by oObenskiOo ( Guest ) , Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:55 am

Sorry folks, it a 55 plate L200. Should be getting codes today but got called out to a couple of emergency jobs at silly o clock this morning.

aaaaaaand a million and one other apologies to the administration team because it wasn't this site I registered for before (I've given myself a proper telling off)

I was under the impression the the fuel pump timing was governed by the crank sensor blade?!? If not how can I check this myself? My mechanic has gone on holiday and I only have my hire van until Friday.

Turns out the engine I bought with the truck was a remanufacture one as well. I wasn't aware of this until it was taken out and I saw the FER badge. So this will be it's 3rd engine.

I tell you what though I've learnt a hell of a lot about diesel engines in the last two months! Every cloud and all that.

oObenskiOo

#5 by 123hotchef , Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:12 am

Let us know fault codes later as it would just be a stab in the dark without them I hope it ain't code 46

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#6 by krutly , Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:39 am

I've heard timing can be a swine to set up on these trucks ........ even 1 tooth out will mess up the running big time
timing marks are on the engine casing themselves NOT the plastic covers
@Alan G and other very knowledgeable fellows will be able to tell your more about timing issues if it's that

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#7 by o0benski0o ( Guest ) , Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:14 am

Pretty sure all the timing is correct as the front has been off 4 times to change the crank sensor.

The crank sensor fault code came up when the first sensor got smashed and was cleared. The second sensor was fitted and was instantly smashed by the bent blade which I'm guessing would have raised the same fault code. The third sensor was fitted and engine manually cranked to ensure clearance but the same thing happened. I'm actually pretty sure the third sensor is fine however I got another just to be sure.

My hope is that the second fault code is still there and making the ECU go into protect mode (for want of a better phrase)

The recon engine came with a fuel pump attached which I assumed would have been tested but of course it count have been because if they have tested the engine they'd had noticed the bent blade.

......I await the code....how exciting [dramatic death]

o0benski0o

#8 by 123hotchef , Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:27 am

good luck i hope clearing the codes fixes your problem, doubtful but fingers crossed for you,

post the codes up when u get them what machine are they using do you know?

Lee

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#9 by o0benski0o ( Guest ) , Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Well he's not turned up so that's the week away with my little one down the swanny.

Can anybody recommend a mobile mechanic with a diagnostic tool near Reading, Berkshire?

o0benski0o

#10 by 123hotchef , Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:28 pm

nope sorry mate
@4life-extreme do u have a code reader

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#11 by o0benski0o ( Guest ) , Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Just been looking on t'interweb and I've seen you can buy a budget diagnostic machine for very little. Are these actually any good? I'm resigned to having it off the road for longer and I also have another off the road car that I'd like to get running again.

Should I look for anything in particular with these machines?

o0benski0o

#12 by 123hotchef , Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:49 am

Yeh a cheap obd2 won't read these classic trucks u will need to spend 70 to 90 pounds on a scanner

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#13 by oObenskiOo ( Guest ) , Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:19 am

Thought as much. My luck recently isn't all that great. If I fell in a bucket of boobs I'd come out sucking my thumb!

Reading lots about potential problems with vacuum pipes and wiring issues. One person even mentioned the possibility of the crank sensor plug being swapped with a similar one close by.

Not sure about the last one because surely the engine wouldn't fire at all but it would make sense if there is no reading at all from the sensor and the no rev counter thing could be the biggest clue of the lot.

oObenskiOo

#14 by 123hotchef , Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:23 am

the rev counter comes from a different sensor I do believe it is located on the fuel pump I have a non working rev counter too

we really need to know the error code otherwise we are just stabbing in the dark

if you plan on keeping the truck splash out and get the code reader or pay someone to read it for you

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#15 by oObenskiOo ( Guest ) , Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 am

Oh I'm definitely going to do either of those but I'm guessing from other posts I'd need a MUTIII reader for a 55 plate Warrior and they look expensive! No probs, it's not going to be done by tomorrow morning in anycase so I'll spend an hour or so looking for loose wires and dodgy connections, can't hurt to do that while I wait.

Really appreciate all your replies, owners clubs really are the way forward

oObenskiOo

#16 by 123hotchef , Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:55 am

about £80 will buy you a chinese code reader that will read and clear the faults we had a discussion about this a while back.

have you registered to the forum because once registered you will have acess to the whole forum the bit you can see is very basic my friend.

Where abouts in the world are you Ben?

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#17 by 4life-extreme , Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #10
nope sorry mate
@4life-extreme do u have a code reader

No Sorry, not yet

AREA REPRESENTATIVE - South Central England
2002 4Life Blue over silver with diff lock,wind deflectors x 4, bonnet bug deflector, snorkel, 30mm wheel spacers, Angel eye spot lights, Bonnet gas struts, CB. GripMax A/T 265/75/16. Boost gauge, Oil Catch Can, Extended rear shackles (164k miles. R.I.P.), New long Milner Engine ( 62k miles) New Turbo @ 236k
JOBS TO DO
Pro comp Front`n`Rear shox, Winch bumper, Rock Sliders

4life-extreme
Date registered 02.17.2012

#18 by o0benski0o ( Guest ) , Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:41 pm

So......ERM........yeah I checked some connectors. Those two that look the same that connect to the sensor and the pump......gave them a swap.

BINGO!!

Fires first time, Rev counter works and fires again straight after. I'm too scared to take it for a test drive though [dance1]

I seriously cannot believe that not only got missed but also never got checked.

Not convinced it's 100% though. Gonna check the other connectors.........

o0benski0o

#19 by robert3040 , Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:55 pm

Feck me!
Hope that's your problem solved if so create mayhem with the last kid on mechanic that touched your truck.Personally I'd get a bill made up on the computer and give it to him
Ps on the signing up for the forum front; This is the BESt one .Most of us have been or still are members on the other one but on here we are allowed banter as well 🙉🙈🙊
Enjoy the forum mate

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - Central Scotland

" going where you ain't been"

robert3040
Date registered 05.09.2012

Last edited 06.04.2015 | Top

#20 by 123hotchef , Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Quote: A guest wrote in post #18
So......ERM........yeah I checked some connectors. Those two that look the same that connect to the sensor and the pump......gave them a swap.

BINGO!!

Fires first time, Rev counter works and fires again straight after. I'm too scared to take it for a test drive though

I seriously cannot believe that not only got missed but also never got checked.

Not convinced it's 100% though. Gonna check the other connectors.........

well done mate bet that feels good

get out there and take it for a spin whats the worst that could happen

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#21 by O0benski0o ( Guest ) , Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:17 pm

Cheers, I'm pleased its working, not so pleased it's cost me ££££'s in changing parts unnecessarily and van hire costs for a connector mix up but hey ho what do I know? I'm a plumber.

Took it for a spin and it felt OK, pulled nicely but was like driving a boat compared to the little hire van 😀

A buddy followed me down the road and pointed out that there was some smoke from the exhaust when I pulled away and a little bit more as I pulled away from a turning further down the road but maybe that's to be expected after being idle for so long?!?

The engine management light came on too but at least I can now take it to a garage to have it read and cleared if necessary. I see that Halford autocenter do the for a £49.99 fixed price so I'll get them to read it.

I'm going to jump straight in and drive it up to Cambridgeshire tomorrow but I've taken out an RAC policy just incase. If I don't make it in the truck I'll get there on the back of one 😂

At the very worst £65 is peanuts for a taxi ride from Reading to Ely

O0benski0o

#22 by 123hotchef , Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:38 am

For 49.99 I would buy the code reader and wait you may need it again.

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#23 by ronniecabers , Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:35 am

If its black smoke and sounds a little rattly , the fuel pump timing could be a tooth out

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#24 by 123hotchef , Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:38 am

When mine had been standing for a while and running bad before it needed a good Italian tune up it was a great show of burning soot and smoke

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Heater matrix

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor