EGR cooler removal HELP!

#1 by Batman69 , Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:29 am

Morning all, newbie to forum so be gentle....

Classic 2005 Animal, received by EGR blanking kit and removed the egr at the weekend. Immediately feels more responsive and less asthmatic so fingers crossed the mpg will creep up.

Fancy removing the EGR cooler as well and have looked at the "how to's" but have a couple of questions if i may:

1) if i disconnect the pipe will it be full of coolant and I need to attempt to catch it in something?
2) tips on removing the cooler (accessing bolts etc)?
3) what are the best ways of connecting new "bridging pipe" to the existing ends?

Once this is done i can start to investigate where the oil leak is coming from on the left side of the engine

TIA Michael

Batman69  
Batman69
Date registered 07.28.2015

RE: EGR cooler removal HELP!

#2 by Fielder , Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:46 am

1) Let the engine sit for a while and you should not loose too much coolent. I just topped up the radiator after. No issues with air locks etc.

2) There is only a few bolts. Nothing too complicated. Be sure to buy some anti-seize fluid. Makes the job a lot easier.

3) I used a flexiable rubber hose as a' bridging pipe' I used the standard fixings from the existing pipe to do the job but any jubilee clip will do the job. I cable tie all pipes as well just to be double sure. A cable tie pulled tight using some mole grips will never hold a pipe alone but it will add an extra bit of security should you be driving across rough terrain fast.

Removing the cooler was only a 30 min job. Worth doing for sure as the coolers can rust inside and cause HGF.

2005 L200 Animal in silver
Big Wheels,
4.0 Litre V8 Lexus Engine swap.
A lot of custom shit.

Fielder
Date registered 11.09.2013

Last edited 08.11.2015 | Top

#3 by 123hotchef , Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:07 pm

bolts for the cooler are easily accesable if u remove or bend the turbo heat sheild, i never bother putting mine back on

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#4 by Ollie , Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:58 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #3
bolts for the cooler are easily accesable if u remove or bend the turbo heat sheild, i never bother putting mine back on

Me neither .just take your time mate you have I think one fiddly bolt by the manifold but easy enough job remove the heat shield by the turbo first then it's easy peasy lemon squeezy

Your Area Rep for Newcastle upon Tyne Did have several l200s
04plate warrior snorkel off road ats lifted needs more mods waiting on the store's to open
NEVER FOLLOW WOODY

Ollie
Date registered 10.02.2013

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Valve tappets discrepancy?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor