RE: Paulsv6 truck from the beginning

#51 by PAULSV6 , Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Yes it will get wet vacuum pump is something I've yet to find lol

PAULSV6
Date registered 10.17.2014

#52 by 123hotchef , Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:36 pm

i await the results mate dont that engine have a vac pump then?

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#53 by PAULSV6 , Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:22 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #52
i await the results mate dont that engine have a vac pump then?

It has somewhere but don't ask me to point at it tho

PAULSV6

#54 by Yoda , Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Quote: PAULSV6 wrote in post #47
Quote: Yoda wrote in post #44
Quote: Greigboy wrote in post #39
Looks like the race is on to see who can get their V8 in and running first

Is it sad to want to be second so that you learn from the other guy's pitfalls?

Nice progress Paul. Is the engine mounted in now or is that just offered up?

Agree it would be nice to have the guidance of somebody else's mistakes.

Just offered up at the minute but I'm going to get some steel in morning to start engine and gearbox mountings. Gearbox will be coupled up tomorrow so hopefully by end of tomorrow it will be in its final resting place and at least tacked into place.
I'm doing a solid axle swap on the front at the same time so if things go right tomorrow I'll start cutting the front up at the same time....

Nice. Can't wait to see the axle swap. Think a few others might follow suit on that one in time. I've been busy buying parts for mine and it's still scheduled for early Dec. So if you get yours running first or not will be down to how fast you work

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

#55 by PAULSV6 , Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:43 pm

For me the only race is to get it done before winter sets in...

PAULSV6

#56 by 123hotchef , Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:43 am

no one wants to be working on the driveway in zub zero temps its freezing

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#57 by woody13 , Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:55 am

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #56
no one wants to be working on the driveway in zub zero temps its freezing

Which is what I'll be doin early next year....

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - North West England
2.8 Import,gone but not forgotten...
The Beast,never to be forgotten...
The Big Silver Beastie,soon to be reborn...

The Frankenfender is on its way....

woody13
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.05.2011

#58 by 123hotchef , Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:12 am

me too over the xmas break but hey needs must huh just wrap up warm and get it done in half the time

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#59 by PAULSV6 , Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Not got a lot done today due to one of the engine mounts being fubar. Took me 3hrs to get it off and still have not tracked a replacement down.
I did manage to get some steel for the brackets but because of engine mount and pretty much worked myself into a corner. I can not fit gearbox until engine is some what lined up on mounts.

PAULSV6

#60 by PAULSV6 , Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Today's update. It's been a day of not a lot physically done but a lot of lessons learnt. Hopefully I'll know by 10am tomorrow (they are landy) engine mounts will be sorted. Once the mounts are sourced and fitted hopefully it will move on really quickly. I've traced most of the major pipe work and wiring and it should be straight forward (he says).

PAULSV6

#61 by PAULSV6 , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Well cracked on today engine mounts modified to take the v8. Best part of day to get the engine to sit down far enough down but I now happy where it sits and there's clearance all the way round the engine bay.
Changed out the Lexus engine rubbers mounts as one was knackered anyway and the Lexus ones are just to expensive £100+ each and difficult to track down. So after a lot of digging around and measuring I've optered for Land Rover 300tdi mount they fitted the 12mm mounting hole on the Lexus engine mounts and they are cheap £12 for the pair and you can get them any where if the need changing again.
I've tried offering the gearbox up but struggled to get it high enough on my own. So I'll have a crack tomorrow after work, need to get it in place so I can double check engine position before I weld mounts to chassis. Also need to get measurements so I can start on gearbox mounts because the hilux and my original one just sits to low for what I'm after so I've come up with a idea for it to double as a gearbox mount and gearbox skid plate in one. I was going to modify my Asfir plates but I may as well sell them on and use money to pay for a custom plate....
On good news I've managed to trace all main components so hopefully once gearbox is in place and mounts welded I can make a start connecting fuel, liquid lines and power up. Hopefully 4-5 weeks and I should have it at least running hopefully booked in for an mot.

PAULSV6

Last edited 10.22.2015 | Top

#62 by 123hotchef , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:50 pm

top work mr Paul cant wait to have a go when its done!

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#63 by Yoda , Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:15 am

Nice work Paul. That's good information regarding the mounts. I'll be passing that knowledge on to Sunderland.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda

#64 by PAULSV6 , Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:11 pm

I'll keep this running so sorry if it gets boring...Gearbox within touching distance of engine but it's just not there. Just glad I got to check it before engine months where welded in. Engine needs to drop about another 3 inches which may mean rethinking the mounts for the engine. The mounts I've done could be made to work but not sure which way to go?? Gearbox mount will be a lot easier than I thought and a hell of a lot cheaper to boot. Rain really stopped major progress but it gave me time to look at the work and think about solutions to what needs doing!!
On the plus side it looks like the gear selector and 4wd stick will be easy to sort as the match up with the original gearbox tub bel holes.

PAULSV6

#65 by PAULSV6 , Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Been a bit since I updated here engines pretty much sorted with engine mounts. I've changed direction to the more recommend gearbox route, Lexus gearbox and hilux surf transfer box. I've got the modified speed sensor back from the machine shop and well impressed with the result with limited information. Remote oil filter parts should be here tomorrow and gearbox rebuilt. Hopefully by end of tomorrow oil, fuel, and cooling system will be sorted and gearbox bolted in and drawings sorted to get gearbox mount bent to shape. If tomorrow goes to plan I can look at wiring on Thursday. Would really like to get it running or at least turning over in next week....

PAULSV6

#66 by 123hotchef , Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:39 pm

cool sounds like good progress

get some pics up Paul you know what they say about pics dont you

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#67 by Yoda , Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:00 pm

That's some pretty decent progress. What box were you previously using then? Was your original box an auto? If so do you plan to reuse the shift and transfer levers to keep the cab looking original?

Yoda

#68 by PAULSV6 , Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:53 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #66

I'll stick some pictures up tomorrow when things are test fitted

Quote: Yoda wrote in post #67
That's some pretty decent progress. What box were you previously using then? Was your original box an auto? If so do you plan to reuse the shift and transfer levers to keep the cab looking original?

Yes it was an Auto but nothing will fit mines a slightly different build if I'd gone with the standard Mitsubishi auto I'd have been on the road by now, it's being able to run a solid front axle that's adding to the delays. I was going to run a hilux surf complete box but that added issues with the ecu. So I've modded the Lexus gearbox so it will take the hilux transfer box, that way the Lexus ecu is happy with the gearbox signals. I'll get it in and running then worry about the pretty parts. It's a toy/project so the main thing for me is getting it running and road legal. No point in spending hundreds on the cosmetics if it does not cut the mustard(mud).

PAULSV6

#69 by 123hotchef , Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:57 pm

solid axle huh r u going lift the front too then

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#70 by PAULSV6 , Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Moving the axle about 3-4 inch forward as well that way I can run 37" without catching the sills. Don't want to go to high it's the tyres and flex I'm after..

PAULSV6

#71 by 123hotchef , Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:52 pm

good idea mate i like it

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#72 by Yoda , Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:56 pm

Quote: PAULSV6 wrote in post #68
Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #66

I'll stick some pictures up tomorrow when things are test fitted

Quote: Yoda wrote in post #67

Yes it was an Auto but nothing will fit mines a slightly different build if I'd gone with the standard Mitsubishi auto I'd have been on the road by now, it's being able to run a solid front axle that's adding to the delays. I was going to run a hilux surf complete box but that added issues with the ecu. So I've modded the Lexus gearbox so it will take the hilux transfer box, that way the Lexus ecu is happy with the gearbox signals. I'll get it in and running then worry about the pretty parts. It's a toy/project so the main thing for me is getting it running and road legal. No point in spending hundreds on the cosmetics if it does not cut the mustard(mud).

Gotcha. Downside of staying with the factory ECU. The Lexus box with the Toyota transfer case is the way most hilux's are converted from what I've read up. Both of those routes are proven but the ECU issue is common. Was your truck a 24V 3.0? As opposed to the 12v? If so then your old box should be the V4AW3 which is the same as the Lexus A340 box you're using. So by extension your old shift and transfer levers should be compatible. I was manual so I had to order some levers and a consol from a Pajero. If you had the smaller V4AW2 auto box then there might be some differences in the levers?

Yoda

#73 by Mallinman , Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Sounds like it's getting close bud. Ul have to let me know when you want the rest of that welding doing. Il come finish it off in the daylight and get it all tidied up. I don't like leaving my work messy. Looks bad for future stuff. And i want to hear that v8 running. Lol.

2005 OM605 superturbo. Borgwarner s200 @3bar ,3” Stainless exhaust, roll bar, TJM winch bumper, winch BJ spacers and extended shackles, snorkel, iron man suspension, LED light bar x3, 2" body lift

Mallinman
Date registered 10.10.2012

#74 by PAULSV6 , Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:05 pm

Yes mine was 3.0 24v but there are two different Mitsubishi gearboxes. Mitzy bitz is local to me and I get on with owner so he lets me in their yard to cross reference parts so if I'm not sure that's where I head rather than hear say. It's easier to see the parts next to each other than risking buying and it being wrong.

PAULSV6

#75 by PAULSV6 , Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Quote: Mallinman wrote in post #73
Sounds like it's getting close bud. Ul have to let me know when you want the rest of that welding doing. Il come finish it off in the daylight and get it all tidied up. I don't like leaving my work messy. Looks bad for future stuff. And i want to hear that v8 running. Lol.

Your more than welcome anytime mate you know where I live. Two good days at it and then you'll be getting a pm 😉😉😉

PAULSV6

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Build Thread - marc_utjmab

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor