Clicking and clicking while in 2wd

#1 by JhonboyHG , Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:25 am

I seem to have a problem when driving in a straight light in 2wd it seems to sound like something is catching or clicking and clicking as I move in a straight line. It dsnt do it hardly as much in 4wdh. Does anybody have any ideas

You don't need HIDS you just need more lights😝

JhonboyHG
Date registered 07.15.2015

RE: Clicking and clicking while in 2wd

#2 by krutly , Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:28 am

@Fielder and @123hotchef have both had this recently, I think it may be something to do with the actuator on the front diff not quite engaging/disengaging

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by JhonboyHG , Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:36 am

That's what it sounds like. It's not fully coming out of 4wd like it's catching something and making a horrible noise it's coming from the nsf. Like a clicking and clunking.

JhonboyHG

#4 by Fielder , Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:39 am

I had it for about 4 seconds then the flashing green light hit. It seems the actuator lost vacuum and tried to engage the front diff, Hence the clicking. It cleared after 4 seconds but I've had the flashing green light ever since. it was one hell of a noise as well. REALLY REALLY loud. We drained the diff fluid and had some metal filing but nothing to worry about.

Is it still doing it?

2005 L200 Animal in silver
Big Wheels,
4.0 Litre V8 Lexus Engine swap.
A lot of custom shit.

Fielder
Date registered 11.09.2013

#5 by JhonboyHG , Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:49 am

Oh yeah it's still doing it the light goes away no probs. But it's deff catching still. If any of you are on the fb forum page. Il out a video up of it doing it at lunch time. And see what you think to the noise. Am sure I've seen s couple of your trucks on the fb page before. My names Jony matthews. And it will be on the page www.l200forum.com on fb. Where are the actuators located for the 4wd system on the k74?

JhonboyHG

#6 by Major Malfunction , Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:53 am

Behind the sump two pipes going to rubber bellows.
You say in a straight line it makes the noise not when turning, have you checked the cv joints as well.

Area Rep for Midlands

04 Warrior blacK,EGR blanked & removed,,De cat,Extended shackles,Pro shocks,
Ironman torsion bars,Ironman shockers,Wind deflectors,New fuel tank,New sump
Wheel spacers,Snorkel,Side marker lights,K&N air filter.

Major Malfunction
Date registered 07.12.2014

#7 by JhonboyHG , Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:59 am

Are they easy access to have a look and make sure there not fucked. Yeah well that was my first thought as I did have a cluck but only in 4wd as I was aware the nsf cv needed replacing. But now that isn't making a noise at all like its "fixed" it's self and replaced it with a diffrant problem. I mean it does do it when turning but it's not like the noise I get from a damaged cv when it was in 4wd. It's like a catching noise clicking and then clunking. As I say il be putting a video up. As that's he only way I can describe the noise. I was green laning over the weekend but not at one point did j have a bang or bash that would cause it to do that.

JhonboyHG

#8 by Fielder , Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:06 am

They are but the two pipes are in 3 parts, A rubber tube from the actuator goes into a metal pipe on the bulk head then a rubber tube again from the pipe to the solenoids. I bought a meter of Silicone 3mm tube and just replaced it all with 2 pipes.

Worth unbolting the actuator and seeing it it moves

Big Wheels,
A lot of custom shit.

Fielder

#9 by JhonboyHG , Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:10 am

That's a really god idea @Fielder thanks I suppose hats the cheapest easy fix to start with. Hopefully it's leaking a little and that might fix it. Could some one pic up of where am supposed to be looking for these pipes. And with the actuator how could I check that it moves. Sounds daft but am no mechainc just a rough idea of what am supposed to do etc. Cheers

JhonboyHG

#10 by 123hotchef , Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:11 am

I aint on FB

but it sounds like the actuator is not disengaging could be vac related

actuator is under the truck behind the diff u will see 2 vac pipes going to it one on the rear and one in front check the vac pipes for leaks

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#11 by malky , Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:29 am

Hang on minute - jack up the front and spin the front wheels. trace the clicking. - if its not clicking in 4wd then it has to be something around the front dif somewhere but may be as simple as insufficiently greased uj's on the front prop shaft. if the pick up is in 2wd and there a dissengage problem then you should be able to get the noise simply by jacking the front end off the deck get it on axle stands and spin the offending axle and prop. Grease everything before changing or messing with anything else.

have solved mysterious clicking and clunking on five different l200's by use of a grease gun - do the simple first.

best of luck.

M

**WARNING - The above post may contain opinions and/or unnecessary sarcasm!**

FORD FIESTA 1.0L ZETEC 2014
VAUXHALL CORSA 2013
FORD RANGER 2014 LIMITED

malky  
malky
Date registered 10.06.2011

Last edited 11.02.2015 | Top

#12 by Fielder , Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 am

If it was a UJ would you not still hear it in 4WD? As the prop turns regardless of if you have in it 2WD and 4WD?

Big Wheels,
A lot of custom shit.

Fielder

#13 by JhonboyHG , Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:12 pm

I've put th video up now. Burns think il be taking everyone's advice. Going to try get it on he lift today

JhonboyHG

#14 by Fielder , Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Keep us posted mate

Big Wheels,
A lot of custom shit.

Fielder

#15 by JhonboyHG , Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:45 pm

So I put the video up. I've checked the rubber thing with he shinny metal slider thing and the Theo rubber pipes that come off. My questions are. How much should the metal slider thing inside the rubber thing move? The pipes look fine one slightly rusty but didt break when I squeezed it so it's soild for now. I followed it back up to the junction on vac pipes and and it all seems to look ok some dirty but nothing that was obviously broken. So I then knowing I had problems with the nsf drive shaft. Started to have a look at it. Kicked the wheel and it made that same sound kicked other and it wasn't the noise just he usual thud from kicking a wheel. So I layed down and started pulling on the drive shaft and it felt like it was wobbly and not soild I get hey have a bit of play but this thing was all over place. It moved in and out of the joints Norplant but you could pull it about and wobble it and it sounded very similar to the noise of the clicking and clunking. But with out the wheel going round and listing to it I can get it to make that noise. Just something silmiler. Yet to get it on a ramp at work to find out. But I think the cv joints just fell apart on its self causing that noise? So my question is how does the 4wd system work on the truck with the vac pipe. Does it turn on and push the drive shafts in to place using the vac? Which is why it's hardly doing it in 4wd? As there locked in to the hubs and rotating rather than being in 2wd and them free wheeling round with the motion on driving causing it to catch on the hub making that clicking noise and clunking ? Cheers guys

JhonboyHG

#16 by ronniecabers , Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:51 pm

the major part of engaging 4 wheel drive is done by mechanical movement of the lever in the cab

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#17 by JhonboyHG , Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Am just starting to think that possibly it's not the 4wd system but possibly the cv and collapsed on its self causing these noises. But when user 4wd and under load it's sitting correctly.

JhonboyHG

#18 by Major Malfunction , Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:12 pm

new.php?thread=238248&forum=30&reply=1&replyid=340646&quote=1
This needs to be put together better and put in the how to me thinks
@ronniecabers can you sort the link out it wouldn't let me just copy my last lol

Area Rep for Midlands

Major Malfunction

Last edited 11.02.2015 | Top

#19 by JhonboyHG , Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:58 pm

So I finally managed to get it on to a ramp after work. I lift her up. And spin the nsf wheel and the noise that came or can only be discribed as a jamacain playing a steel drum. So I looked behind it to give the driveshaft a wobble. Well least to say I found the problem. The nsf drive shaft is mullerd. You can pull on it and it has movement in all directions. So I would reckon that the drive shaft is hitting the hub causing these noises am hearing. Like its really bad play in the drive shaft like the cv has collapsed on its self you can literally move the end about I'm side the hub of the wheel. So am going to replace that and see how it goes from there. I've seen some reconditioned ones going for 200 but second hand ones for 30. Would it better to just get s second hand one rather Han recon one, seeing as the price is only 30/40

JhonboyHG

#20 by Major Malfunction , Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:04 pm

Recon all the way, you will have some recall if it fails in future

Area Rep for Midlands

Major Malfunction

#21 by Fielder , Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:11 am

Quote: JhonboyHG wrote in post #19
So I finally managed to get it on to a ramp after work. I lift her up. And spin the nsf wheel and the noise that came or can only be discribed as a jamacain playing a steel drum. So I looked behind it to give the driveshaft a wobble. Well least to say I found the problem. The nsf drive shaft is mullerd. You can pull on it and it has movement in all directions. So I would reckon that the drive shaft is hitting the hub causing these noises am hearing. Like its really bad play in the drive shaft like the cv has collapsed on its self you can literally move the end about I'm side the hub of the wheel. So am going to replace that and see how it goes from there. I've seen some reconditioned ones going for 200 but second hand ones for 30. Would it better to just get s second hand one rather Han recon one, seeing as the price is only 30/40

While you are there replace the needle bearing. I had a Wheel bearing go, 2 weeks later the CV joint went, 4 hours later the needle bearing went. Best to do all 3 on both sides at the same time.

Also, milners offroad are your friends for cheep new parts.

Big Wheels,
A lot of custom shit.

Fielder

Last edited 11.03.2015 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Any builders in the house?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor