balance shaft leak

#1 by Philthee ( Guest ) , Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:31 am

Gday all,
So, I bought a nice dented, rough, beaten up l200. Clean oil, clean coolant, no leaks, drove beautifully. Unfortunately after putting 2000 miles on top of the 160k it already had, I heard a bubbling when I turned her off one evening. Not just the gasket, the head had cracks everywhere. Anyway, stripped it all, and heard the oil pumps are a common issue, so replaced it along with water pump and well its a set of rings and big ends from being a new motor. Passed it MOT the next day. But, a black puddle started forming on the driveway, reluctantly pulled the timing cover off, decreased, ran up and oil was quite steadily coming from the BS drive on the oil pump. Belts off, and I could found the shaft had quite a bit off play. So pump back off, and called Milners on the Monday, they collected on the true, very helpfull. However, the tech is saying all the shaft have a bit of play, and there is nothing wrong with it. Where the shaft exits the housing it goes through a steal sleeve which the seal is on. The sleeve doesn't rotate In the seal, the shaft rotates in the sleeve. There are no bearings or bushes on the shaft. The whole thing seems dodgy to me, how is it going to not leak oil? How is there not going to be play in it? Has anyone had the same issue, or have there covers off at the moment and could see if there shaft is wobbly. I wondered if I could lock tight the sleeve to the shaft, any help would be great, I cant stand the thought of rebuilding it, and having the same problem!
Finally, Milners have been helpful throughout, and given me replacing belts, so no hard feelings.
Thanks,
Phil

Philthee

RE: balance shaft leak

#2 by ronniecabers , Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:31 am

Guessing its pre 2005 due to the mileage , making it a ' classic' , some leave the balance belt off completely . I don't know if that helps but worth considering...

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#3 by Philthee ( Guest ) , Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:00 am

Yeah I had read that on some of the other threads. little bit nervous of doing that though, if it's meant to be there...
Thanks anyway, it is a option if it leaks again!

Philthee

#4 by Greigboy , Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:07 am

I ran with the balance belt off mine for two years and I couldn't tell the difference with it being on or off. It's function is to harmonise vibration in the engine, but I don't see that being a concern on an old bone shaker diesel anyway, and with it off it removes the possibility of it failing wrapping around the timing belt and wrecking the head.
I have heard of blalance shafts siezing on these trucks as well and throwing the belts off.
That's not to say it will cure your leak, but there's nothing to be nervous about by running without one.

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

#5 by Philthee ( Guest ) , Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks, Think I am going to try the lock tight first, if that doesn't work then I'll cut the belt off.

Philthee

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
replace halogen headlight L200 2009

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor