Heater Matrix hoses - which is which?

#1 by Yoda , Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Just on the home stretch of my dieselveg installation. Wondering if someone could tell me which of these is the inlet and which is the outlet hose for the heater matrix. I checked the pdf manual but it doesn't say. It helps for getting the water circulation direction correct for the heat exchanger. If no one knows we'll turn the engine over briefly and see which way the water flows.

Cheers in adavnce......

Pics of installation in progress to follow soon........

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

RE: Heater Matrix hoses - which is which?

#2 by treeboa , Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:09 am

should not matter, you should be breaking into both hoses, not just one, if you break into just one, as in series, then come summer when you dont use the heater the water wont flow through the exchanger

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

try 7 up - snow white did

treeboa
Date registered 10.02.2011

Last edited 04.15.2012 | Top

#3 by LezT , Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:37 am

Just guessing, but the higher of the two should be the inlet.... reasoning behind this is that heat rises and as water cools it sinks ( thermosyphon )... so the hot should go into the top and as the water is cooled ( by you nicking the heat for the interior ) it cools, sinks and then would come out of the lower pipe. I know that we pump the water through this matrix, but the resistance to flow would be a fair hinderance to getting the water in and out easily. Early cars that were watercooled had no water pump and would use the thermosyphon system for water cooling, the coolant would be heated by the temp of the engine and as the temp rose the water would rise, this in turn would 'pull' the water from the radiator which had just been cooled and had 'sunk' to the bottom. hot would flow into the radiator at the top and cooler would flow out of the bottom, once back in the engine it would get heated back up, rise to the top, and so on, causing a flow of water through the radiator...

Or you could always start the engine from cold and see which gets hotter first............ just an idea.......

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ
Kenwood TS670.. Yaesu FT575GX.. YaesuFT8800D.....Yaesu FT897
Yaese FT101ZD......20M BitX3C TXRX
Kenwood Chef.....Goblin Teasmaid

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons”
FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.01.2011

#4 by Yoda , Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks guys. On it.......

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Prop mount

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor