High oil level / DPF / rings

#1 by MikeR ( Guest ) , Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:40 am

Hi
My wife has a 2012 Outlander 2.2D. For the third time we've had an engine oil light come on - above the max on the dipstick. We've taken it in to the Mitsu dealers to get it fixed again, and here's their response:

"Check oil level message on display - was due to DPF issues last year. Oil levels high again - due to previous issues occurring we suspect there is an issue with sticking piston rings. To confirm this would be 3 hours of further checks £324. to find exact fault. Possible causes are swirl flaps, air flow sensor, most likely sticking rings. Mitsu have advised this is unfortunately caused by overrunning on servicing and late oil changes".

9000 mile services done at 9057, 17738, 29346, 41608.

And they're suggesting that if it is sticking piston rings - I think they told my wife "the oil can become contaminated" (?), that we'll need a new engine!!! Any advice on what to do next? Pay for the inspection and see what happens? Involve Mitsubishi UK (they gave us the contact details)? Try elsewhere? They also said "off the record" that there's a Mitsu technical bulletin describing these issues...

Many thanks!

MikeR

RE: High oil level / DPF / rings

#2 by Greigboy , Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:47 am

Mike, your posting as a guest so only a handful of people can see your post, to get access to the forum you will need to register and send your details to admin as per the pinned post

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

#3 by Alan G , Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Mike. Where about are you ???

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

#4 by Guest , Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:31 am

OK thanks I'll try to register for a wider audience.

Near Cambridge UK

#5 by Nick , Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:18 pm

Hello Mike,

I have a 2013 Barbi, mine has a DPF fitted.
I have owned it for 8 months now, and have done about 2500 miles
The oil level goes up on mine, i'm sure it to do with the DPF regeneration.
I only do really short journeys, 4 miles to work etc. So this chokes the DPF as the engine is not being revved very high or getting up to operating temp.
When it starts to get choked the ECU pumps extra derv into the bores to get the engine hotter, so the exhaust gasses clean the DPF.
If you switch off during this process the Derv has go to go somewhere, it goes into the oil, once the oil level reaches the X (above max) its classed as contaminated.
I keep an eye on mine and if it starts getting towards the X i use a suction pump down the dipstick tube and remove about 500mls.
Not ideal I know but cheaper than paying Mitzi.
Hope this helps.
Nick.

2017 Ford Kuga AWD 180 Titanium X.
2018 Abarth 595 - Now Sold.
2013 Grey Barbarian - Now Sold
2006 Black Warrior (New Shape) - Now Sold
2005 Black Warrior (Classic) - Now Sold
Stoke On Trent

Nick
Date registered 10.02.2011

#6 by Alan G , Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Diesel getting into the oil is a side result of the dpf process. Nothing you can do about it however if your piston rings are sticking it wont help. If you fancy a trip to the national meet at Kirton nr Scunthourp on Aug 20th I can run a carbon clean & oil clean through it for £130.00 but you would need to bring your own oil & filter. Just make sure its the correct low ash oil for a dpf engine. The oil flean will clean out any sludge from the piston rings aswell as the oil galleries & bearings. Given mitsi's cost its worth a try.

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Hard Top T-Lock

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor