Best Way to Underseal Chassis and Tub

#1 by chris1911 , Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Help me out here guys,

Getting so many differing opinions and answers...

I've taken the tub off, as we intend to paint it inside and out with Raptor paint for a two tone effect - bumpers, bonnet and such to be done later.

Whilst the tub is off, I want to underseal all the chassis I can access with the tub off and the underside of the tub.

Cleaned everything with a wire brush, jet washed, rubbed over with white spirit - so, next step.

My 4x4 paint sprayer friend tells me he always used waxoyl, and just cleans and re-applys yearly. Said just spray or paint it on generously.

I bought some schultz underseal after a recommendation on here, I've bought red oxide primer from Screwfix, which gets a great rating....

But every forum has a different opinion.

Plan on keeping it regularly cleaned and jet washed, and I'm not keen on putting the mud flaps, plastic wheel arch liners and such back on, as they are rusted to hell and just trapped dirt and moisture - and the truck looks much cooler without them - so the underside will be quite accessible for cleaning.

What goes on my bare metal, my wire brushed rust areas, wheel arches, chassis, inside the chassis frame etc.... Got a compressor and schultz gun, although don't mind a bit of brushing to keep the mess down.

chris1911
Date registered 08.29.2016

RE: Best Way to Underseal Chassis and Tub

#2 by 123hotchef , Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:50 pm

if you have preped it well and are now down to bare metal then red oxide it let dry then use a under sealer waxoil is shite imo the 3m stuff is much better and lasts longer

if you want to go one better then use a epoxy primer on the bare metal

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by chris1911 , Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:02 pm

So red oxide prime the bare metal bits, then the schultz 08861 underseal - which I think you recommended Pyrochef.

How does a schultz differ from waxoyl? I remember I used to underseal my Beetles in schultz - but that was some 30yrs ago....

It's not bare metal everywhere, and I think it's had some waxoyl in it's life. Pretty much got most of that off with white spirit, but also got some wire brushed surface rust to cover.

chris1911

#4 by 123hotchef , Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:08 pm

that 08861 is the 3m stuff is it not? waxoil is old style now it washes of after a good jetwash as it is wax and oil based the 08861 dries hard get some thinners and give the chassis a good clean down with that and a cloth because it evaporates and leaves nothing white spirit leaves a residue brake cleanner or pannel wipe will work too

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#5 by chris1911 , Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Yep - 3M Schultz 08861. Bought 3ltr on eBay. Cheers pal.

chris1911

#6 by 123hotchef , Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:13 pm

no worries have fun its great stuff so easy to use

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Nick's Truck