Fuel gauge light issue

#1 by SuffolkShooter ( Guest ) , Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi,

I've registered on the forum, but am awaiting activation.

I have had a 56 plate Trojan for 18 months and just recently the fuel gauge light comes on at random points regardless of whether I have just filled up or not.

The light sometimes starts as a faint glow and then increases in intensity, whilst other times, it comes on quite quickly. It doesn't seem to matter what the temperature is or road conditions and there is no loss of power, or coughing/spluttering or smoking going on whilst it does this.

The gauge itself appears to be working fine. i.e. goes up when filled and gradually descends as fuel is used up. However, because I don't know if I can trust the low fuel indicator lamp or not, I fill up every 280 miles, although I have gone past 300 easily before the light has come on.

I've searched on line and looked in the handbook as well as checking to see if it is a warning for something other than low fuel, but can't find anything and my local garage don't know either?

[help]

SuffolkShooter

RE: Fuel gauge light issue

#2 by 123hotchef , Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:25 pm

old classic shape truck is it?

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by SuffolkShooter ( Guest ) , Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:50 pm

One with the Bonnet Intake. Yes

SuffolkShooter

#4 by 123hotchef , Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:06 pm

ill check the wiring diagrams tonight for you mate
I am led to believe there is a small coil/switch on the gauge itself so it may have dirty contacts or something.

In the meantime please register to the forum it is free to join and there is plenty on this subject in the areas you can not see.

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#5 by SuffolkShooter ( Guest ) , Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi. Thanks for that. Is it likely something I am able to take apart and clean/fix myself (I'm no mechanic, but don't mind having ago)?

And yes, I've registered, and just awaiting activation.

SuffolkShooter

#6 by 123hotchef , Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:42 pm

yes mate just whip the clocks out be careful of the spedo cable in the back of them and take it aprt you will see the fuel gauge and its wiring and any problems may or may not jump out at you

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
New engine no power

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor