Noisy turbo not boosting properly

#1 by TrojanDom ( Guest ) , Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:36 am

Hi all!

Should have come on here a long time ago! I have a l200 Trojan k74 on a 2007 registration, standard apart from a set of cooper at tyres, rear chrome nudge bar and rear canopy.
I have owned this truck from new and it has been great, 90k on clock now. Up to 90k it has had a steering idler a set of brakes and two sets of tyres so hasn't done too bad! Always looked after it service every year oil change twice a year.
But now it's all going wrong!...
Turbo started to sound noisier than normal, no dentisits drill or anything, just sounded asthmatic but was still boosting fine. Then over the weeks the power reduced slightly in acceleration and the turbo wheeze would end with a shrill chirp when lifting off the throttle, no eml. Once fed up with this I gave it to my mechanic to look at he suggested blocked cat, new exhaust with de-cat fitted, problem still persisted. Chap came out plugged his laptop in did a full diagnostics-turbo boost showing as fine, no other issues detected other that a few flat spots in acceleration. Suspected fuel pump issue- fuel pump now rebuilt(lots of money), slight improvement on power, turbo still wheezing. Pipes hoses etc all checked also, actuator seems to be moving ok, egr cleaned.
Current symptoms, when run stationery the turbo sounds fine crisp whistle through the range as it should, when driving flat ground gentle acceleration all seems fine, as soon as any load such as an incline, towing, or accelerating harder, the power is down and the turbo is noisy and or cuts in and out through the revs finishing with its chirp when changing gear, so get a lot of noise and little go! Becoming very frustrating now and have reached a dead end. I'm no mechanic but can use a spanner.
Anyone have any thoughts or know of anyone in the Chelmsford/Essex area that know what they are doing with theses trucks!?

Sorry for the essay, thought the more info the better!

Cheers in advance!

TrojanDom

RE: Noisy turbo not boosting properly

#2 by 123hotchef , Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:50 am

can u fit a boost gauge to see what exactly the turbo is doing whilst driving

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by TrojanDom ( Guest ) , Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:38 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I guess knowing what the turbo is(or isn't) doing would be useful. Is there a kit that isn't to expensive and easy to fit?!

Regards

TrojanDom

#4 by 123hotchef , Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:43 pm

you can get a cheap manual gauge and do a temp job and just throw in on the pasenger seat or cubbey hole

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
L200 Seat swap?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor