2007 2.5DID 91k Engine rattle normaly like this?

#1 by Kev71 , Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi - All

Had a few issues recenlty with this truck some to be expected with age and use, but as it has cost us a small fortune already having only owned it six months I may have to consider getting rid of it if there is going to be another big bill looming.

I would like some opinions on the level of the engine rattle! It may sound worse than it is due to the recording.

The first sound clip
0-1 minutes: Inside cab with doors shut, and engine start up from cold and 1 degree Celsius outside.
1-2 minutes: Still in cab and engine been running for five minutes. Stationary and engine revs accelerator applied for steady 1200rpm
2-3 minutes: Engine running for ten minutes. Stationary and engine brought back down to idle.

Second sound clip
0-30 seconds: Drivers door open engine at idle with recorder pointing to bonnet from door pillar. Engine been running eleven minutes engine revs increased up to just over 2000rpm Yeah I know I should have done one outside when cold too.
30s -1 minute: Recorder at front of engine bay with bonnet up at idle.

I will try to get a sound clip from engine bay from cold start and increased revs when warmed up tomorrow.

Thanks for any constructive comments.

Attachment:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached files

Kev71  
Kev71
Date registered 04.10.2016

RE: 2007 2.5DID 91k Engine rattle normaly like this?

#2 by mikeb1986 , Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:10 am

Difficult to hear whats rattling, mine had an awful rattle on idle upto about 1200 rpm I thought sounded quite tappety, adjusted them and no better. Couldn't find it for months

Later on the belt stripped every tooth and when replaced the rattle had gone so I dont know for sure but I think the rattle was a "bald" patch on the balance belt and the belt slapping when it was moving slower. Mechanic said he'd seen them with bald patches before and they were Mitsi belts fitted (presumably originals at 10 years old, 100kmiles).

Maybe useles information but must be worth a check

mikeb1986  
mikeb1986
Date registered 04.30.2015

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Whirring engine noise... (classic '04)

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor