lack of power after filter change

#1 by earlybird112 ( Guest ) , Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi. im hoping someone can help me out with my latest problem. After changing the fuel filter on my l200 i discovered a serious loss of power around and above 2000 revs with plenty of blue smoke when spluttering. I couldnt hand prime any diesel through the hand pump and bleed screw although after prefilling the filter the engine starts every time and ticks over. Immediately it will rev beyond 3000 plus and then straight away further attempts and the problem occurs. On stopping and restaring every time the same thing, revving too 3000 plus then spluttering etc. Its due an mot next week and id really like to sort this first any help would be appreciated

earlybird112

RE: lack of power after filter change

#2 by krutly , Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:07 pm

did you have this problem before the filter change ?

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by earlybird112 ( Guest ) , Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:13 pm

no it ran nicely, i changed the fuel filter last year before mot, same filter and had no issues. I took this one off again and checked everything was seated correctly and it appears fine no leaks that could be letting in air. I think it would have bled its self after being ran so long so i dont think there is air still in the system

earlybird112

#4 by krutly , Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:19 pm

did you smear a bit of diesel round the rubber filter on the top to get it to seal nicely ?
is the water trap rubber washer sat properly ?
when you pump the primer does it go hard or just keep on pumping with no effect ?

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#5 by earlybird112 ( Guest ) , Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:24 pm

the water trap is definitely seated nicely i must confess i didnt smear diesel on the filter rubber but the second time i removed it i un bolted the housing and removed the pipes so i could assemble the two together and check that it was nice and tight and seated well. the hand primer doesnt go hard at all it just pumps and u cant get it to pump any diesel through the bleed screw whatsover even if u remove it completely yet it will start every time first time

earlybird112

#6 by Mallinman ( Guest ) , Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Sometimes the old little inner seal in the middle can stay in the pump head. So ur effectively installing the filter with 2 seals. Check that. It's obviously drawing in air. Hence the lack of revs under load. Wat filters u using?? Could just be a dodgy one. For the sake of a tenner go get another one.

Mallinman

#7 by Earlybird112 ( Guest ) , Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:02 pm

OK. The filter is a Crossland which is what I used before.don't think they areally the best but all they stocked and should have done the job . I'm pretty certain the seal came away with the old filter but I'll check.it's being mot'd Monday so I'll get the garage to fit another one nd take it from there I guess u do get the odd dodgy one from time to time and it does sound very much like it's pulling in air . I'll let u know how it goes. Many thanks

Earlybird112

#8 by Nick , Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:11 pm

This is why i will never use an after market filter.
Oil or Fuel, they never fit right.
We had this with Ford Transit fuel filters years ago.
I always used Gen Mitzi on my 3 x L200s.
Yes they are a bit dearer but fit correctly, a New shape fuel filter is about £30

2017 Ford Kuga AWD 180 Titanium X.
2018 Abarth 595 - Now Sold.
2013 Grey Barbarian - Now Sold
2006 Black Warrior (New Shape) - Now Sold
2005 Black Warrior (Classic) - Now Sold
Stoke On Trent

Nick
Date registered 10.02.2011

Last edited 03.11.2017 | Top

#9 by Earlybird112 ( Guest ) , Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:25 am

I've been able to get bosch filters for my ford's from the same place if not I've always gone for originals as everyone advised this and ford were supplying bosch ones themselves. I may postpone mot and try getting an original filter . I find it hard to believe it'll fix it so easily especially as the one I've got looks perfectly tight and sealed but it would be nice to see for myself and if so a lesson learned here. I don't know of any other way of bleeding the system but it's kind of pointless anyway till I cure the air getting in. My old 200 is around 20 years old but when she's running she's a really useful old vehicle and worth sorting out.

Earlybird112

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
AUX/BLUETOOTH

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor