Steering Ties Up When In 4 Wheel Drive

#1 by Sgreat ( Guest ) , Fri May 19, 2017 4:39 pm

My Old 02 4life L200, is doing some weird stuff atm...
I'm hopeing one of you experienced L200 Peeps can help..

When I engage 4x4H or L for that matter... When tight manuvering, eg parking. or simple 3 point turn my Steering appears to jam...becomes very stiff..
When out on a drive, steering appears just fine..cornering, bends, dual and motorway driveing...just fine... its only when low rev, heavy steering is involved, it goes tits up..

Any Ideas would be most appreciated...

Steve

Sgreat

RE: Steering Ties Up When In 4 Wheel Drive

#2 by krutly , Fri May 19, 2017 5:19 pm

4 wheel drive must only be used on loose or slippery surfaces with a classic L200
if you use it on hard surfaces you will get diff wind up (which is exactly what you've described) and then it'll get expensive when it goes bang
you should have a sticker on your drivers door or by your feet telling you not to do this

only use the 4WDH and 4WDL on the slippery stuff and you'll be fine ...... nothing wrong with your truck, that's just how they work
if you want to use it on tarmac etc in 4WD then you'll have to get a post 2006 L200 with a superselect gearbox

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by krutly , Fri May 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#4 by Sgreat ( Guest ) , Fri May 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Many Thanks For your prompt reply...
I don't use 4x4 gears very often.... Was advised best use 4x4 at least once a week to keep it operative!! So I used for the 1st time in over a year, yesterday.

I was sure I hadn't experienced as I explained.... Anyway I now feel reassured theirs nothing to worry about...

I'll give it a whirl next time on loose or slippy ground..

Thanks again

Steve

Sgreat

#5 by krutly , Fri May 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Hey Steve
I wouldn't worry about using it once a week to keep it operational, I used mine every few months ..... or when I remembered(sometimes only a couple of times a year) and it was fine
you'll get a flashing green light on your dash soon enough if something is amiss with the 4x4 system anyway
green light should light initially and once the engine is running the vacuum is built up and the light should go out
if it doesn't then there are quite a few things to check to resolve it
why not become a member on here (it's free) as there's plenty of advice on all sorts of stuff and always plenty of people happy to help with whatever problems you may encounter

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Limp Mode with traction control lights on.

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor