26-7-17 Welcome to 1 New member

#1 by ronniecabers , Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:56 am

A very warm welcome to the forum to the following new member:

@dollythesluki

Tell us a bit about yourself, what model you drive, where you're from etc.

You can also upgrade your profile & stick a pin in the members map so we can include you in meets etc
Link to Adding yourself to the forum Map

To gain full access to the forum you will need to private message Admin your name, address & postcode,(look for the box marked ' private message ' in the top banner ) this discourages spammers and ensures only genuine members are upgraded. Your details will only be used for security & they wont be passed on to anyone.

Please note that your account upgrade could take up to 48 hrs.

ronniecabers

Ps, could you take a moment & let us know how you came to know about the L200 Forum. Just complete the survey & post a comment.

Link to How did you find the L200Forum?
and

COME AND JOIN US AUGUST BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND AT KORC
A Weekend of good laughs and banter and if you wish some Off Roading too!
Seasoned off roaders and novices welcome, New members as well as old....

More info on the main thread once upgraded.....which is free!.

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

RE: 26-7-17 Welcome to 1 New member

#2 by krutly , Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 am

welcome aboard dollythesluki

if you are in southwest then give me a shout as I'm your friendly,knowledgeable,slim,good looking,athletic and modest area rep

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by Gezza , Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:34 am

Hi there

Raging Bull (Red) Manual 35,000m '57'
K&N
Truckman Top
Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/65/17
Remap - do I, don't I?

Stratford Upon Avon

Gezza
Date registered 01.12.2013

#4 by dollythesluki , Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:44 am

Hi all, yeah i am in the south west, Weston Super Mare to be exact. I don't actually have an l200 as of yet. don't kick me out though. i am going and looking at a couple today. Ill copy the link to one of the ones i am going seeing below, it has a few of the old classic "bought it for my wife as a daily runner" I'm guessing he subsequently got divorced or something. The problem i am having with them is they are spread to the four winds.

Anyway I'm leaving the Royal Marines and setting up my own company, which will require the occasional remote country lane ergo the L200s are what i am after. that one i am looking at today i don't want any of the chrome or the roller shutter or the license plate really so ill be flogging the lot if i go for it. ill keep you updated.

thanks for the welcome guys

it won't let me post the link yet, will do once iv been fully baptised in diesel oil

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...=at_cars&page=1

dollythesluki  
dollythesluki
Date registered 07.24.2017

Last edited 07.26.2017 | Top

#5 by Ollie , Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:21 pm

and a very warm welcome to the forum tell us where your from don't be shy

Your Area Rep for Newcastle upon Tyne Did have several l200s
04plate warrior snorkel off road ats lifted needs more mods waiting on the store's to open
NEVER FOLLOW WOODY

Ollie
Date registered 10.02.2013

#6 by ronniecabers , Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Quote: Ollie wrote in post #5

He did.... Weston-Super-Mare lol!

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#7 by woody13 , Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Hello there...

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - North West England
2.8 Import,gone but not forgotten...
The Beast,never to be forgotten...
The Big Silver Beastie,soon to be reborn...

The Frankenfender is on its way....

woody13
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.05.2011

#8 by krutly , Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:59 pm

hello there @dollythesluki
I've had a good look at the photos in the ad you linked to and that's not a bad looking truck. There is nothing that I can see that would set alarm bells ringing. The mot history looks pretty consistent. The main thing to check is that it doesn't overheat (classics love to blow head gaskets). The temp gauge should sit exactly half way when warmed up (only takes a couple of miles of driving for these to warm up). When you take it for a drive , put your foot down up a long hill if possible and keep an eye on that temp gauge. With the bonnet open, check there are no bubbles going into the expansion tank (behind passenger headlight). If it overheats, walk away, unless you're very handy with the spanners and don't mind fixing someone else's problems. Other main thing to check is the front pulley. lowest one right at the front of the engine. They are made of 2 parts and they can delaminate over time. If it wobbles when you look down at it when running it's knacked. If it's knacked and you drive it then very soon you'll be having valves hitting pistons.
So as long as it doesn't overheat or have pulley issues then any other things will be relatively easily sorted should they come up.
rough prices for chrome stuff on ebay/gumtree etc etc
roll bar 100-150 quid ish
bull bars 100 quid ish
roller shutter 150 quid ish
side steps 100 quid ish
rear bumper bar 50 quid ish

anything you need to know just shout

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#9 by dollythesluki , Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's not ideal as I need a black canopy so I can get the adevertisong on it but that shouldn't be too much hastle. What's your opinion on getting a body lift on it. As it has the advertising on I wasnt it to stand out a little bit and 'look the part'. I think I may get rid of the license plate aswell. L200NCB which is obviously worth thousands. Hahah I know it's about £150 not sure if it's worth the admin fees these days.

dollythesluki  
dollythesluki

#10 by George , Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi and welcome

2000 4/Life Blue/Silver 102000 miles
Fitted Bonnet Struts
New Clutch Fitted
At the moment now got a Saab not no more
And now I have got a Warrior

George  
George
Date registered 10.29.2011

#11 by krutly , Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:30 pm

a body lift isn't too bad , I had a 2 inch lift on my classic
2 inch lift kit from xpajun (or whatever they're called) isn't expensive
12 2inch blocks, longer bolts,remove lower fan cowling,fit extended brake lines,make new front bumper mounts,cut a bit of the trim away from round the gearstick and extend any pipes that may be stretched in the engine bay and that's about it (there is a full how to:- on here and plenty of advice/help available)
L200NCB may help it stand out unless you already have a private plate to go on. Transfer fees are around 80 quid ish from DVLA or a bit more if you take the L200 one off and put it on a retainer in order to sell it. Usually the original plate will be reissued to go back on the truck.The plate should be worth a few hundred quid at least to the right buyer. 'L200" with 3 letters after is around 250 from dvla with the 80 quid transfer included.
rear canopies are around 150 to 300 quid depending on make and condition, avoid one with a broken rear glass as the glass will cost you more than the canopy itself(you'll see a lot with broken rear glass)

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#12 by AD , Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Quote: Ollie wrote in post #5

think he already did

AD
Date registered 04.13.2014

#13 by dollythesluki , Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:10 pm

thanks again, your obviously quite the L200 spotter Krutly. Ill probably find a place that does it when I'm ready to, or maybe do it with the father in law who's a decent mechanic . i have the dexterity of a baby elephant in boxing gloves. what did you think of the price? there are so many out there on the market, its just finding a good en.

dollythesluki  
dollythesluki

#14 by krutly , Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

price looks about right if it's a good 'un ..... maybe a little high
trouble is, there are a lot out there that are beaten up work trucks that people are asking stupid money for as they've seen similar ones for more money
I recently sold my classic , sold within 24 hours of advertising it
I bunged my 53 plate up for 3 grand and had 21 inquiries in the first 24 hours so may have undervalued it somewhat
the only thing I can spot about the warrior you've linked to is that the window switch surrounds should be the same silver as the dash trim, other than that I cant see anything wrong.
if I were looking for another classic my check-list would be
make sure it doesn't overheat (floor it on a long hill and watch temp gauge doesn't go above half way)
make sure there are no bubbles in the expansion tank when you turn the engine off (usually head gasket if there are bubbles)
if it's an animal make sure the power chip is still there (passenger foot-well silver box)
check for rust on front cross member and rear mud flap things next to back of cab
check for wobbles in the front pulley (if it wobbles, walk away)
check all the warning lights come on when you turn the ignition on then importantly go back out when it's running
check for excess smoke (mine give a small puff on first start up)
check the 4wd high and low work (on loose or slippery ground not tarmac or you'll break it)
make sure the green 4x4 light goes back out when back into 2wd
check for wear on gear levers and steering wheel are consistent with the mileage
check the DVLA mot checker to see it's history of mileage and mot passes and fails
check the hangers on the rear box as they rust for a pass-time
check for oil leaks in the engine bay, common ones is the half moon seal at the rear of engine
service history would be a bonus but certainly not a deal breaker as even the most meticulously serviced engines can fail
check it has the tool thingy if there are locking wheel nuts
if it's an animal with 18inch alloys, check there plenty of tread as those tyres aint the cheapest
check it's got a spare wheel as many get pinched
and I'd avoid a truck that's had a reconditioned engine as the 'reconditioned engines' are rarely done well and seldom last long

Unfortunately we get a lot of new members on here that have bought their new truck 'at a good price' only to find they've got to sort out the problems (usually head gasket) that the previous owner had probably known about but decided to sell rather than fix. Weak point is definitely the engine. I had mine for 12 years and it never missed a beat , alas when you search online you'll only ever hear horror stories, same as any make or marque.

worth looking at completed listings on ebay to see what L200s actually sold for rather than the price someone is asking ------------> https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motorcyc...=p2045573.m1684

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

Last edited 07.26.2017 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
18-7-17 Welcome to 15 New Members

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor