Greetings everyone!

#1 by skobel , Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 am

Hey there everyone! Greetings from Switzerland!

First of all thanks for the add.

I'm a recent owner of a 1999 K74 (bought it third hand March 2017) with 127K miles, and I definetely could use all the help I can get to repair it and keep it running. Because like you know better than I do, these things have their issues ahah
Also, I'm no mehanic but I'm eager to learn. Love to DIY.

Right now (without much details) here's her resume:

•Check-engine doesn't light on start-up;
•Had to remove honk fuse because it honks when I turn the key;
•Syncromesh problem on 1st gear, occasional grind on 2n, 3rd and 4th;
•Rear right tail light doesn't light;
•Engine oil leak;
•Clutch rattle when idle.
•Need to tap the centre console so it's illuminated at night;
•Speedometer needle can't stay still, waving constantly between a range of 10mph.
•Thermometer on the centre console: -E

Still, this was my dream car (believe or not) and was the one in best shape I could find in all Switzerland. People here tend to like American trucks more but that ain't my type ;)

Anyway, already PM'd the admin and I look forward to discuss with you all.

1999 K74 Double Cab

skobel
Date registered 12.02.2017

RE: Greetings everyone!

#2 by Heathen , Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:30 am

Hi Skobel and welcome - that's quite a list you have there! To get you started:

Check engine light - start by checking the bulb - mine was removed by someone. The instrument panel is easy to remove @krutly did a great howto with pics starting here g170p1948-IMG.html#viewport.
Clutch and gearbox problem could well be related - sounds like the clutch isn't fully releasing to me - does the noise/rattle disappear as soon as you touch the clutch pedal?

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen
Date registered 05.20.2016

#3 by paulw , Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:31 am

welcome, you have come to the right place for help. knowledge here is amazing, oh and hope you have broad shoulders, banter is great as well!!

did have warrior, but crossed over to disco 2.
Thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bringing more work!
Landies don't leak oil, they just sweat

paulw
Date registered 10.06.2011

#4 by skobel , Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:41 am

Cheers Heathen, appreciate the input. I will definitely detail more my truck's problems when I have full acess to the propper forum area. Can't hope for much help by just saying "The truck was running and now stopped, please help" lol
And yes, the rattle stops as soon as I press the clutch. As for the syncromesh, I was told to start by simply changing the gear oil. Oddly enough, gear changes are smoother when the truck is cold ... it only starts to occasionally to grind after it has been running for a while.

In any case, with your input I got somewhere to start looking. Cheers bud!

And paulw, i'm always up for some banter. It ain't fun without some, mate! ;)

1999 K74 Double Cab

skobel

#5 by Heathen , Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:56 am

Oil change is definitely a good start

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen
Date registered 05.20.2016

#6 by krutly , Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:56 am

Hello there and welcome
sounds like you have a few problems to fix. I would check the terminals on the battery are tight and not corroded and any earth straps from the starter motor are secure because it sounds to me like you've got an earthing issue that may be causing your various problems. Sometimes a rusty tow bar wiring can cause various faults so worth checking that too.
Hope you get it all sorted

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#7 by ronniecabers , Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:54 am

Oil leak could well be half moon seal down the back of the head .. very common

My 55 plate Animal clutch release bearing rattles when my foot is off clutch , and as Heathen says goes when clutch depressed..
Also mine has a habit of crunching between 2 and 3 if I change too fast , has done this all the time I've owned it ( 9 years )
Thermometer could well be the reader , under the front bumper , has been damaged or corroded ...

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#8 by skobel , Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 am

Cheers krutly, ronniecabers.

I definitely got a lot to look into, but knowing where to look goes a long way.
I'll start by troubleshooting with the new info and keep you guys posted.

I would start a new topic just for healing my girl on another more appropriate section, but since we are on it here:

- The tailight problem is defo a wiring problem. Only the right tailight doesn't light. The brake, indicator and reverse light all work on the right lamp assembly, and if I connect the right assembly to the left, the tailight works perfectly. I'll start looking into the battery and the earth straps. As for the rusty tow bar, how do you recomend to clean it? With what and where exactly?

- As for the transmission problems, where exactly do I find the drain bolt for the gear oil? And where do I reflil it; with what? Synthetic 75W-90? (if there's already a gallery explaining all this, feel free to kindly link me )

- As for the thermometer, I will probably look in a nearby scrapyard for a used one. Should be easy to replace, no?

Appreciate the helping hand fellas!

1999 K74 Double Cab

skobel

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
1-12-17 Welcome to 12 new members

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor