dual battery

#1 by malky , Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Hello all,

After my recent alternator fiasco - and the forthcoming proposed winch I am looking at the possibility of fitting a dual battery system into the truck.

I presume the simple and straightforward way to connect this is simply to connect the second battery in parralell to the existing, with a manual isolator between the two batteries, and it will receive charge alongside the starting battery as long as the isolator is not "off".

What are the drawbacks of this straightforward approach is there any real benefit to battery management systems and charge management systems? - I do not forsee massive use of the system to the point that the alternator would not be given ample time and oportunity to "catch up on charging the batteries back up however am open to advice.

suspect Lez will be th eman for this one ....

cheers

Malky

**WARNING - The above post may contain opinions and/or unnecessary sarcasm!**

FORD FIESTA 1.0L ZETEC 2014
VAUXHALL CORSA 2013
FORD RANGER 2014 LIMITED

malky  
malky
Date registered 10.06.2011

RE: dual battery

#2 by Stick , Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:25 pm

I would recommend staying single battery mate unless your running alot of heavy duty electrical equipment. Buy an oddessey/Optima deep cycle battery and checking you have a 90amp alternator over the 75 amp ones.

I carry an OCD warning......and Tourettes

GOBSHITE!

Stick
Date registered 11.02.2011

#3 by malky , Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks stick, it is a 90 amp alternator I fitted.

do you hae a recommendation on which optima or which odessey to go for?

Malky

VAUXHALL CORSA 2013
FORD RANGER 2014 LIMITED

malky  
malky

#4 by robl200 , Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:32 pm

Think yellow tops seem to be the choice for optima batteries

Y reg trojan 184k now sold after 8 years of off road shenanigans and rebuilds and laffs!!

02 4life 72k in pieces!!

robl200
Date registered 10.02.2011

#5 by Stick , Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:33 pm

I recommend an oddessey, PC1500. I had 2 of these beastie's. Not cheap BUT quality never is and these tokk a hammering with me as you could imagine. I MAY be able to locate one of my old one's for you and strike you a good deal for a mint second hander,

GOBSHITE!

Stick

#6 by billymadbiker , Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Quote: malky wrote in post #1

What are the drawbacks of this straightforward approach is there any real benefit to battery management systems and charge management systems? - I do not forsee massive use of the system to the point that the alternator would not be given ample time and oportunity to "catch up on charging the batteries back up however am open to advice.

suspect Lez will be th eman for this one ....

cheers

Malky

Main drawback is: if you leave your lights on when the isolator is switched on then both will go flat so won't help you whatsoever. Although it will take twice as long for them to do so.
Also, if you just connect them permently in parallel then both bats should be roughly the same capacity and same condition.

I have a twin bat systems fitted to both of my trucks,

My everyday work truck (actually 3 bats but the extra 2 are the same as 1 or 3 ect:
The second battery is connected through a 50a relay to the main one.
ie. the + on the second battery goes to the normally open contact on the relay, the other normally open contact of the realy is connected to the + of the main bat.
The coil on the relay is powered by the key, so, when I turn the key on both bat's are connected and charge together.
When i turn the key off the second battery is completley disconnected from the car.
The power for my inverter/radio/work lights all come from the second battery so I can have the radio on until the battery is dead but still start the car when I need to..

On my other truck (only use now and again) I have a second battery connected almost the same as the first except on that one I use a 300A solonide rather than a relay. The solonide is not switched from the key but from a split-charge relay.
So, I start the truck as normal and the second battery is disconnected. When the split-charge relay detects the main battery is fully charged it shuts the solonide and that charges the second one up pretty quickly.

On this truck I use the second battery to run a winch and some spot lights etc.
I also have a switch in the cab to manually close the solonide so if I leave the headlights on then I can start the truck from the second battery.

I think the best way for you to do it will depend on exactly what you need the extra power for??

Lez will prob have all the pictures showing how to wire these up but I can have a go at doing one if needed

billymadbiker  
billymadbiker
Date registered 03.06.2012

#7 by Basil , Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 am

Hoping not to contradict anyone, but I have my hydro cell running at 25A, the winch and all the lights running off a single numax deep cycle battery. granted I switch off the hydro cell when winching, and have had no trouble.Might be unnecessary expence and faff if your not gonna be using the winch alot Malky?

Basil

2007, Y plate 4life,
2010, 55 plate L200 4work++
March 2013, 11 plate Barbarian. Wrapped, OME all round, remapped to 210, straight piped 2.5" SS.

Basil
Forum Legend
Date registered 03.07.2012

Last edited 09.26.2012 | Top

#8 by janso , Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:51 am

Malky, I think you need to add up the total draw of all electrics on the truck first to see if its needed. I've looked at this for the future; keep the main battery for starting and factory fitted electrics, all other ancillaries comes off the 2nd battery for redundancy. No matter what, you will always have the main battery to start her up and get moving; running a split charge would make sense. As far as I've understood, the 2nd battery could also be used for jumpstarting if needed. Numax battery's are excellent; cheaper than flash Optima batteries but sound the same job. Do all l200 K74's share the same alternator? If not, this would be a good addition to 'up' the charging and draw. If everything is on, winch, lights, stereo, etc, the charge off the alternator will realistically power these AND if there's enough, carry on charging batteries.

L200 Warrior 55 plate
Powerboost
BFG 265/75R16 AT's
Snorkel
Aiming to become All Black!

What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.

janso  
janso
Date registered 03.16.2012

#9 by TwedL200 , Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Quote: Stick wrote in post #2
I would recommend staying single battery mate unless your running alot of heavy duty electrical equipment. Buy an oddessey/Optima deep cycle battery and checking you have a 90amp alternator over the 75 amp ones.

how can one tell what current their alternator is?

Border Control
2005 4life - Beast. 87,000 miles and still going...
Mods: Snorkel, roll bar and A bar with 6 spotlights, 3" lift, AT tyres
To do: replace sump, extended brake hoses, BJ spacers, decat, de-EGR
More planned but skint!

TwedL200
Date registered 10.31.2011

#10 by Yoda , Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:38 pm

I have a second battery. Much the same as Billys, except mine is in the tub. I used a 50 A relay and some 30A cable between them. But instead of triggering the relay on the ignition I wired in a manual switch. One of the missile switches next to my hand brake. I put it on a switch as the aux battery runs my pump in the tub and heater in the tub which are both used for work. I thought possibly that having the battery on the ignition might not charge it enough. Initially I would only lift the switch when I was driving, therefore only charging while driving. But I used to get low battery signals on the axillary battery quite often. I started lifting leaving the switch on over night every other night, thereby treating it as a true twin battery system. And also leaving the switch on while working, thereby draining from both batteries while working. The inspiration for this came from realising that the Scandinavian trucks had two batteries on all the time. As did my old Hiace. Anyway, I don't get low battery signals from the axillary battery any more. Though that said I am exploring the idea of a solar charger for the roof. That or one of Sticks alternators. Don't know if any of this is useful....

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

#11 by malky , Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:58 pm

well thanks for all the info guys.

To be fair the hilux surf my better half had a winter pack which included dual batteries it just seems like a smart move to have a dual system if there isn't a financial or practical reason not to.

I do have the 90 amp alternator fitted so possibly i will start with an optima for now and consider where, how and if I want to go down the dual battery route later.

thanks again guys as always informative and intelligent answers, impressed no-one wandered off topic

cheers

Malky

VAUXHALL CORSA 2013
FORD RANGER 2014 LIMITED

malky  
malky

#12 by Yoda , Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Quote: TwedL200 wrote in post #9

how can one tell what current their alternator is?

Good question!

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda

#13 by janso , Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Isn't it written on the alternator? I think mine said 75 amp, but I could be wrong; it has been known!! I think there's a label on the upper surface

L200 Warrior 55 plate
Powerboost
BFG 265/75R16 AT's
Snorkel

What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.

janso  
janso

#14 by janso , Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Just checked... factory fitted on a 55 plate warrior is 75 amp. Does that mean it pumps out UP to 75 per hour or what??

L200 Warrior 55 plate
Powerboost
BFG 265/75R16 AT's
Snorkel

janso  
janso

#15 by LezT , Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:11 pm

75 Ah means that the battery can deliver 75 Amps for 1 hour of time................ when brand new.
This also means it should deliverr 1 Amp for 75 Hrs or 2 Amps for 37.5..........
Just using the other calculations as examples so's peeps can see how the battery ratings work....
I could never be facaetios............. or take the 9155..

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ
Kenwood TS670.. Yaesu FT575GX.. YaesuFT8800D.....Yaesu FT897
Yaese FT101ZD......20M BitX3C TXRX
Kenwood Chef.....Goblin Teasmaid

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons”
FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.01.2011

#16 by janso , Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:15 pm

You Lez; never! Good to have a better explanation thou

L200 Warrior 55 plate
Powerboost
BFG 265/75R16 AT's
Snorkel

janso  
janso

#17 by billymadbiker , Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:18 pm

that means it is capable of a peak current of 75a output.

So, If you had a battery rated at 750Amps then it would take 10 hours to charge the battery from dead flat.
In theory.

however, you have cable losses etc to deduct from that so expect it to support a constant load of maybe 30a or so.

I also have a little solar panel on the roof, seems to put out enough juice to make up for the alarm led's etc but that's about it. Won't charge a dead battery. I have some bigger panels that are a better output but they are to expensive to stick on the roof of the thing. I will mount one inside the back window one day..

billymadbiker  
billymadbiker
Date registered 03.06.2012

#18 by Stick , Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 pm

My single battery coped well with a 90amp alternator running 2 real good winches no bother, obviously when winch the draw take battery to 10v, A little rev and 2 seconds later back upto full charge.

I went to twin batteries with the new alt set-up due to the extreme's of winch challenges.

GOBSHITE!

Stick

#19 by Stick , Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 pm

The alt is/should be marked with 75/90amp.

GOBSHITE!

Stick

#20 by Yoda , Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks stick. Will be interested to check mine.

Yoda

#21 by Stick , Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 pm

I would hazard a guess at 75amp fella.

GOBSHITE!

Stick

#22 by TwedL200 , Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:25 pm

I think that running the car, 4x 55W spots and a nuke ( about 30A) all at the same time may be a bit too much for the standard alternator then but you're never gonna be running all of them at the same time for prolonged periods of time are you... If you had a nuke fitted that is. (One day hopefully )

You can get standard alternators re-wound to higher outputs can't you?

Border Control
2005 4life - Beast. 87,000 miles and still going...
Mods: Snorkel, roll bar and A bar with 6 spotlights, 3" lift, AT tyres
To do: replace sump, extended brake hoses, BJ spacers, decat, de-EGR
More planned but skint!

TwedL200
Date registered 10.31.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
THAT's what was missing...

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor