L200 issues

#1 by Bear83 ( Guest ) , Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi

I have recently purchased a 2009 L200.

I am experiencing 2 unconnected issues.

The first happens in the mornings when it's cold or when the jeep has been sitting for a while. When I start the engine, the revs shoot up to 2000rpm and will stay there for up to 10 seconds depending on how cold it is. They will then just drop back to normal and all is fine. I know a diesel engine does tend to rev high when first started in cold weather but this seems abit extreme to me.

The second issue can occur at any time the engine has been sitting. If I do not start the jeep within a few seconds after the glow plug symbol has extinguished, it will not start. To rectify this, all I need to do it, is repeat the starting procedure and turn the key to start directly after the glow plug light goes out and it will then start fine. But I again wonder is this normal or could it point to a problem with the glow plugs?

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on these issues for me!

Thanks in advance

Bear83

RE: L200 issues

#2 by krutly , Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:36 pm

I always waited for the glow plug solenoid to click before I ever started my truck
loud click that can be heard inside the cab a few seconds after the light goes out
when my plugs started to go I found repeating this and giving them 2 burns would help it start
glow plugs not working properly gave me white smoke too

mine never reved higher than normal though

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
l200 barbarian gearbox

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor