Battery and Filter Warning Lights

#1 by Jon87 ( Guest ) , Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi Everyone!

A couple of days ago I privately purchased a 2004 Warrior. Full service history and fresh MOT with 3 minor advisories (I'll list just in case, though I don't believe any could have anything to do with the problem in question);

Slight deterioration on rubber bush of leaf spring shackle pin (Not resulting in excessive movement)
Brake pipe slightly corroded rear
Steering pivot point has slight play nearside

Anyway, last night I was out for a drive when the battery and fuel filter warning lights suddenly popped on and stayed on until I got home 30 mins later. When I got up this morning they were on for 3 minutes then went out and stayed out until I got to work. I've just been out to grab lunch and they popped on again for a few minutes before going out.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks very much in advance for any help/suggestions that anyone can offer.

Jon

Jon87

RE: Battery and Filter Warning Lights

#2 by 123hotchef , Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:47 pm

hi Jon welcome to the forum, please reqister and join it is free!

the lights on together mean either

1 you battery is fooked
2 your alternator is fooked
3 your alternator aint charging the battery for another reason

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by Jon87 ( Guest ) , Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks mate, I have registered to the forum, just waiting for confirmation email ;)

Do you know if the fact that it is so intermittant would lean towards one of those problems specifically? On my way home from work (12 miles through busy roads) I didn't see them come on once, then shortly aftger I arrived home I went back out and they came on for 2-3 seconds.

Thanks Again,

Jon

Jon87

#4 by 123hotchef , Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:47 pm

could be a faulty regulator on the alternator could be a failing bottom pulley if it starts ok id say battery is probaly ok

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#5 by Jon87 ( Guest ) , Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Ok great, thanks for all your help buddy. Oddly they haven't come on at all over the weekend 🤔😂

Jon87

#6 by 123hotchef , Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:22 pm

weird goins on!

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#7 by Guest , Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Hello again Hotchef!

A brief update and further cries for help 😂

I have replaced the alternator with a brand new one (4 hours in the rain 😂) after the old one decided that it wanted to over charge my battery to the point the voltmeter was off the scale. Went out for a drive and after about 30 mins I started losing all of my battery charge until I got home and it was dead. Tested the battery and it was blown.

I've just replaced the battery with a new one, started it up and those same 2 lights began blinking. The voltmeter was sitting om 12v at idle. Revved amd it charged to 14v eventually, then when I stopped revving it instantly discharged back to 12v. Tried putting lights on at idle and it started discharging below 12v so quickly turned them off amd gave some more rev to charge up. All the while the battery and filter lights were randomly blinking on and off every so often with no obvious connection between when they did it. I'm thoroughly at a loss as to what could be going on 😂 Any other advice you could give as to what I can check next would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

#8 by 123hotchef , Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:26 pm

oh try the alternator relay! @Rob1307 has a nice pic of it! oh and Jon join the site mate! you will see lots more

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#9 by Guest , Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Ok awesome I will do thanks mate! I have joined, but couldnt see this thread while logged in 😂

#10 by 123hotchef , Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:58 pm

ha ha

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#11 by Jon87 ( Guest ) , Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:58 pm

I've checked Rob's pics but can't see it mate, could you point me in the right direction to find it?

Cheers

Jon

Jon87

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
06 L200 feels sluggish at 40

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor