#No11fuse blowing - help needed please

#1 by L200Andy , Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:09 am

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help please?

I have an 05 plate L200 Warrior. For the past few months it will blow the 20Amp fuse on circuit number 11 (engine management). It does it ONLY under these conditions:

1. The engine is warm (driven 10 miles or so)
2. The engine is then turned off and left for AT LEAST 10 minutes.
3. The ignition is turned over (1 click) and blows 20Amp #11 fuse.

Please note: If engine is left for about 30 Minutes (i.e. probably cold or not as warm) the fuse will not blow and the engine will start happily.

From cold start the engine runs fine and drives happily 400 miles etc. It has never blown while driving. it only blows under the conditions above. If left to get cold again it will happily start again in the morning or once blown if left to get cold and fuse changed, it works fine, until you recreate the conditions above.

I have put it through ECU tests at Mitsubishi today and all is fine - no fault codes. My garage have ruled out the fuel injectors as we can still recreate this fault with them unplugged. They don't suspect relays (as they are not near heat source -engine?) and seem to click on and off fine. we suspect the fault lies between fuse (obviously!) and something in the engine bay that is shorting under dissipated heat when engine is turned off.

We know the car gives out 6 amps when all is fine, but when we recreate this fault it jumps to 40 amps and blows the fuse. The alternator blew a year or so ago...and then the second went faulty, but the 3rd is working fine and has been in operation several months before this problem occurred. (We're not even sure that the alternator is connected to this circuit or even related to this problem, but this is the only major work that has happened to the car during the past 3 years, so mention it)

Simply put, we suspect that either a wire or a component, when warm, is blowing the fuse but this does not happen when driving or when the car is left to idle. Its a needle in a haystack and very baffling and annoying!

What we really need is an electrical circuit for everything that connects to the Number 11 fuse. If not a drawing - a clear list of what should be on that circuit would be a great help from the wise gurus on this site!!!

Can anyone help please? Desperate with this problem and its been 2 months now and I (and garage) are tearing our hair out....and shedding money.

Thanks - Andy

L200Andy  
L200Andy
Date registered 03.04.2018

RE: #No11fuse blowing - help needed please

#2 by 123hotchef , Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:37 am

take the ecu out and check it for any dammage the alternator overcharging may have dammaged something

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by 123hotchef , Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 pm

did u check the tempreture sensors and wiring and the intercooler fan,

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#4 by L200Andy , Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:04 pm

we will check temp sensors and intercooler...but that kicks in and out perfectly when running and when idling....also the ECU has been through diagnostics and is fine. What else is on the circuit? We really need a diagram...thanks -Andy

L200Andy  
L200Andy

#5 by 123hotchef , Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:47 pm

the intercooler fan should not really be running unless it is really hot mate I have never seen my running this time of year unless you are in Australia or somewhere

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#6 by L200Andy , Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:41 am

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #5
the intercooler fan should not really be running unless it is really hot mate I have never seen my running this time of year unless you are in Australia or somewhere

OK...will check...cold norfolk - lol!

L200Andy  
L200Andy

#7 by L200Andy , Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 am

Hi 123hotchef, my mechanic says that the intercooler is not even connected in my truck, so its not that AND the ECU looks fine and the car drives very well, except for this fault. Do you know what else hangs off this circuit and can you find me wiring diagrams for it please? Andy

L200Andy  
L200Andy

#8 by ronniecabers , Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 am

This link any use Andy

Online Classic Wiring Diagrams

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#9 by ronniecabers , Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:31 am

It definetly sounds like a short to me, years ago I had a mondeo that would fail to start when warm sometimes ( usually just after you'd fill up with petrol ) . It kept knocking out the crankshaft sensor, well after 6 in six months I asked my mechanic if it could be a wring issue and he outrightly said no.... well to b honest I didn't believe him so stripped out the wiring to find two wires slightly stripped that would chaff together, fixed the wires and never had any more issues...........Just wondering if maybe your issue is a chaffed wire in the loom?

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#10 by 123hotchef , Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 am

Quote: L200Andy wrote in post #7
Hi 123hotchef, my mechanic says that the intercooler is not even connected in my truck, so its not that AND the ECU looks fine and the car drives very well, except for this fault. Do you know what else hangs off this circuit and can you find me wiring diagrams for it please? Andy

I got a thing for you to check unplug the two plugs that go from intercooler fan to bulk head and the fuel filter sensor I have seen the redundant plug socket for heated fuel filter used before and this has brought up strang problems like fuses blowing

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#11 by 123hotchef , Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 am

Quote: ronniecabers wrote in post #9
It definetly sounds like a short to me, years ago I had a mondeo that would fail to start when warm sometimes ( usually just after you'd fill up with petrol ) . It kept knocking out the crankshaft sensor, well after 6 in six months I asked my mechanic if it could be a wring issue and he outrightly said no.... well to b honest I didn't believe him so stripped out the wiring to find two wires slightly stripped that would chaff together, fixed the wires and never had any more issues...........Just wondering if maybe your issue is a chaffed wire in the loom?

could even be one of the jummper blocks is slightly corroded seen this before on the L200s too take them apart clean them well put them back together all good. I put it down to a little bit of water ingress in the footwells or just condensation

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Armadillo roll top key

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor