L200 07 reg Reversing probs

#1 by Nik ( Guest ) , Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 am

I took a brain storm and bought one of the above. I wanted a K74, as young as possible. Wasn't that worried re mileage. I never get rid of my cars until over 200k miles so this at 133k is very young. The machine is a four cab with a flat bed. Everything works! Had a look underneath, god they are bullet proof. I plan to do most of any maintenance myself. It has a switch that locks the rear diff...could be handy.
Just little concern I have. Normal forward driving in high /low/2wd/4wd drives as you expect. When you reverse its a different storey. If you reverse in a straight line no probs. If you reverse in 4wd with full lock on you can feel a big resistance building up as if it doesnt want to go in reverse direction with full lock. Its much easier in 2wd. Is that because the 4 wheels are locked and going around a different radius?
Thanks for the help. I get the feeling Milner are the people for parts? Filters, cam belts etc etc Thoughts
Nik

Nik

RE: L200 07 reg Reversing probs

#2 by 123hotchef , Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 am

if it aint a super select you should not be using 4wd unless the conditons dictate so. ie its muddy snowy sandy it needs a wheels to be able to slip

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by Guest , Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Genius.Thanks a million for that. Long storey short The wife and I towing our rib to the Norwegian fyords and then over to Stockholm to see our kids . I feel this is the machine to do it. The cambelt was done at 70k miles. I was going to change that ,oil and fuel filters also. I don't think I have much time to give it a mega looking at.Ill do that this winter. Is there anything you'd prioritize??. Ta Nik

#4 by 123hotchef , Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:38 pm

the cam belt is due again then! diff oils transfer box and gear box oils too

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#5 by krutly , Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Hiya Nik
as cheffy says
Use of 4WD on a classic K74 is only for off road and slippery conditions
if you use it on tarmac or concrete etc there will be a loud bang and an expensive bill as you cause diff wind up
All K74s have this set up, if you want to use 4WD on roads (towing etc) then you need a newshape truck (curvy model 2006 onwards) and it needs to have the super select gearbox which was only on the higher spec models. So a 4work or 4life newshape will have an 'easy select' gearbox same as the K74.
If you plan on doing your own maintenance then there's plenty of advice on here , just ask if you have any questions

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#6 by Guest , Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks for all of that. Just one last question . It was going to be a news post entitled "whistle while you work" but i'll ask here. There is a distinct whistle from the engine, very turbo related. changes in volume more than pitch as the revs rise. I don't think its serious as the engine is very happy with no overheating. Thoughts? Ta Nik

#7 by krutly , Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:13 pm

my K74 used to whistle and whoosh like anything I had the EGR removed, a side exit exhaust with no silencers, a decat pipe, a snorkel and a K&N filter
sometimes you can get a bit of a whistle if you've got a gasket blowing slightly like the manifold or exhaust
temp gauge should sit bang on half way when it's up to temp , anything above this needs to be looked into asap as overheating issues are not that uncommon

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#8 by 123hotchef , Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:41 pm

see the cambelt due agian bit got blanked hum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Canopy top and reversing camera wanted

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor