Help please! Heater fan stopped working and it's -2!

#1 by DaleH , Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi all. Having a spot of trouble!
So here's the deal...
Last night I changed out the standard bulbs for led in my instrument cluster (as per kurtly's helpful guide). The old bulbs were so dim i could hardly see them at night. So in went some red leds. And its still dim!!!! I tried the dimmer but no matter how much i turn it in either direction the brightness doesnt change. With the standard or led.
But the more pressing problem is that when I went to leave for work this Morning in lovely Scottish -2 the heater fan had stopped working! But was perfect before I had the dash apart to do the bulbs. So i thought i must have knocked a connection in the back of the heater controle unit. Had it apart tonight again but everything seems to be where it should.
I'm totally stumped!
On a side note. My battery has pretty well had it from a half working altinator so sometimes I go to start and it's drained. Have a new altinator in though so it's not that. And will have a new batter next week after the easter hols. But not sure if a duff battery would do all that?
If anyone has an ideas I'd love to hear them!
Thanks, Dale

DaleH
Date registered 12.07.2016

RE: Help please! Heater fan stopped working and it's -2!

#2 by 123hotchef , Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:02 pm

check fuse

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by DaleH , Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:09 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #2
check fuse

I'm not exactly sure what fuse it is for the heater fan. And the owner manual is as much use as a cock flavoured lolly pop. The diagrams don't look anything like the boxes in the engine bay or the cab. I checked the a.c. fuse and it's fine. But there is heat coming out the vents, and the the temp control is working best I can tell. Just the fan that doesnt

DaleH

#4 by Nick , Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:32 am

Most LED bulb are not dimmable
They only work on one voltage

Check all the fuses in both fuse boxes, either with a test light or take every one out and hold it up to the light

2017 Ford Kuga AWD 180 Titanium X.
2018 Abarth 595 - Now Sold.
2013 Grey Barbarian - Now Sold
2006 Black Warrior (New Shape) - Now Sold
2005 Black Warrior (Classic) - Now Sold
Stoke On Trent

Nick
Date registered 10.02.2011

Last edited 03.30.2018 | Top

#5 by krutly , Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:45 am

I tried red LEDs in mine many years ago , they weren't as bright as whites or blues. They did however dim with the dimmer (albeit not as effectively as normal bulbs) so if it were me I'd be getting a new dimmer switch assuming all the other bulbs work as they should (indicators main beam etc). If all the lights seem dim then I'd be looking at the multi connections on the back of the speedo unit for corrosion or the like.
As Nick says , check your fuses first, down by your feet fuse numbers 2,6 and 16 (check fuse 10 while you're there it's the one for the dials)
failing that it could be the heater switch has had it ..... normally when they go they still work but just on one setting (usually the highest setting)
there should be some spare fuses inside the cover of the fusebox by your feet

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

Last edited 03.30.2018 | Top

#6 by DaleH , Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:03 pm

It was the fuse! Thanks guys. The much needed heater is back up and running. Would have taken me a wile to find the right fuse for the heater on my own! I'm awefull at electronics and wiring!
Also i noticed in the fuse 10 for the dials has a fuse splitter wwith a 10A and a 7.5A with a wire coming from it. It must be for either my reversing camera or my two led light bars and two led spot lights. I had a local place do the wiring for than all so not exactly what it's for. I'm wondering if that might be what's causing my dials to be dim? All the other dash lights are at full brightness like normal. Indicators, ect

DaleH

#7 by krutly , Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:33 pm

looks like you've found the cure for your heater and also looks like you've found the culprit for your dials too
I'd be possibly trying to undo what's been wired in and see if that cures your dials then find another way of getting your other lights wired up

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#8 by DaleH , Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:26 pm

I think so! I'll ask the guys that did the wiring and see what they say

DaleH

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Birthday boy

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor