camshaft nut sheared off

#1 by stokesley , Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:45 pm

while driving along i changed down while driving up to a roundabout the engine stopped, i new when i tried to restart some wasn't right as it was spinning over to quick, i had thought timing belt had snapped but when i removed cover i found that the camshaft nut had sheared off, so i had a look under the rocker cover to find a exhaust rocker had snapped, i think the job is beyond my skills so i was hoping for some advice on cost and possible damage and maybe why this has happened
Many thanks Matthew

stokesley  
stokesley
Date registered 01.01.2018

RE: camshaft nut sheared off

#2 by krutly , Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:15 pm

@Alan G may be able to advise ...... he may even have a spare rocker, you never know
it's not the bottom pulley nut that's sheared is it ?

rockers snapping is common as they are the weakest link in the system and sacrifice themselves to spare other more expensive parts so it would appear

you've not had the best luck with this engine since you've had the truck have you ?

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by stokesley , Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Ha no I don't mind things going wrong it does get used for some heavy towing mind, I did the turbo rebuild for peace of mind really before it went wrong I searched long and hard for. 4wd and these seemed to be the best for my budget I had around the 2k mark I did look at a disco but 2k seemed to buy someone's else's troubles

stokesley  
stokesley

#4 by Heathen , Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:44 pm

That's a pretty strange one - several reasons it 'could' have happened. Most obvious ones are - If the timing belt was too loose and slipped, allowing the pistons to hit the valves which would stop the cam from turning. Also if the belt was too tight putting too much strain on the cam pulley. The cam shaft might have seized up in it's bearings due to oil starvation or overheating. Or someone might not have done the nut up properly if it's been worked on before. The head itself might be salvageable, but you'd need to get someone to have a proper look to see why this happened - if you're not going to do the work yourself your best option is probably a new built up head - all depends on how much damage there is really. Either way, you definitely need to have a definitive answer on what went wrong before you try and cure it.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen
Date registered 05.20.2016

#5 by stokesley , Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:22 pm

hi heathen thanks for the reply just maybe to help it happened on decelerating up to a roundabout from 3rd to 2nd with no throttle no problems previously was running sweet

stokesley  
stokesley

#6 by stokesley , Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:07 pm

just had another look to see if there is anything obvious and it seems the camshaft is seized, looks to be plenty of oil around valves etc

stokesley  
stokesley

#7 by stokesley , Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:16 pm

upon further investigation it seems the front cam cover was causing he camshaft not to turn and has rubbing on all others are clean i would love to here peoples thoughts on this, there was some alloy pieces in oil way so im wondering if maybe the front is last to receive oil but im not sure how oil is fed and in which order things get oil

stokesley  
stokesley

#8 by stokesley , Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 am

has any one had this problem would be great full off opinions good or bad thanks Matthew

stokesley  
stokesley

#9 by diggermandan , Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:31 am

Can you post some pictures? Might be a little clearer

Probably the least effective ever AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'93 Strada double cab, broken... 5 years off the road, list of things to repair just about getting shorter!
'94 Strada double cab 'parts truck'... too good to break?

diggermandan
Date registered 01.22.2012

#10 by stokesley , Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Will get some sorted in a day or two just started a new job,

stokesley  
stokesley

#11 by stokesley , Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

stokesley  
stokesley

#12 by Heathen , Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks for those - not nice to look at though mate I'm guessing the head side of the cam bearing seats are as bad as the caps? To me it doesn't look like the metal welded to the cam (which has knacked the bearings) comes from the broken rocker - when you put the two bits together are there any pieces missing or is it a clean break? I would think the cam has seized first and this has then done the rocker - which cylinder was it from?

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#13 by stokesley , Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:00 am

Hi yes clean break on rocker, and is 3rd one back from radiator end, I properly agree with your thoughts just not convinced its oil starvation as there were no noises previously to it stopping no drop in pressure or lights, would it be possible some case hardening has come of cam or the caps, the strange thing is there is not as much damage to bottom cap as top scoring isn't as deep thanks for reply Heathen

stokesley  
stokesley

#14 by Mallinman , Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 am

That looks poorly. I think the best option with that is to strip the head. U will need to check the valves after a break like that. Bottom end should be ok. Just check all piston protrusion heights to check for any distortion in the rods. Should be able to get away with a bare head and a new cam. And that one rocker. Possibly the valve on that rocker 2. I would deffo be using a flush on the oil system and check condition of the oil pump. All those metal bits and filings off the rocker will have gone somewhere. Prob what has caused most of the scoring on the cam. Could it be that the chunk of rocker that came off is what jammed the cam and caused the bolt to shear at the front??

2005 OM605 superturbo. Borgwarner s200 @3bar ,3” Stainless exhaust, roll bar, TJM winch bumper, winch BJ spacers and extended shackles, snorkel, iron man suspension, LED light bar x3, 2" body lift

Mallinman
Date registered 10.10.2012

#15 by Heathen , Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:45 am

It's not too easy to see from your pics, but I think it's more likely that a piece of debris has entered the cam journal through the oil feed hole - it's not so easy for a piece to get in from outside the journal, if you see what I mean? and if the rocker is broken cleanly, there won't be much debris from it anyhow. I would defo have a look a the oil pump and see how much crud is in there. Not sure if this could be a result of the head warping - you'd probably have had other symptoms if that was the case? Shame they don't use shell bearings on the cam shaft, cos you're probably looking at a new head... maybe put some pics of that up too?

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#16 by Mallinman , Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:54 am

Good point that. I wonder why they don’t use shell bearings on cams. Surely it would reduce heat and wear. Probably cost. Tight buggers.

2005 OM605 superturbo. Borgwarner s200 @3bar ,3” Stainless exhaust, roll bar, TJM winch bumper, winch BJ spacers and extended shackles, snorkel, iron man suspension, LED light bar x3, 2" body lift

Mallinman

#17 by stokesley , Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:07 am

I have purchased a few bits to fix but need to investigate oil problem if I crank engine over now should there be oil coming from somewhere under pressure, and also where would I be able to buy the key way that goes through camshaft pull into the crank I don't think key way is correct term I'm not sure what they are called which is hampering my search I think thanks again Matthew

stokesley  
stokesley

#18 by Heathen , Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Think you mean a woodruff key - Milner's probably do them. You'd probably need to take the glow plugs out, or you'll have a load of compression to deal with (if you mean with the cam shaft out). I wouldn't bother spinning it over though - you'll just cover the engine bay in oil.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#19 by stokesley , Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi heathen thanks for that I had a look at a woodruff key and they look like half rounds the key I need is a cylinder shape that goes through pull and into end camshaft

stokesley  
stokesley

#20 by Mallinman , Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Last time I got key way steel I got it from a company called Dixon hall.

Mallinman

#21 by Mallinman , Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Mallinman

#22 by stokesley , Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:30 pm

i think its part of the camshaft just had a look on web

stokesley  
stokesley

#23 by Heathen , Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:50 pm

I see what you mean - part number is MD321860. Milner don't have it listed, but they may still be able to provide it - it's just a metal pin by the look of it.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Birthday

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor