Starts won't rev holds back black smoke white smoke Help! Please

#1 by L200 2006 I need help ( Guest ) , Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:35 pm

Hello some body please give me some clues I have pretty good mechanical skill but this has got me scratching my head. Had my l200 2006 be live it's k74 for about a month now been great. Done about 1000 miles in it no problems. Sunday night my alternator belt snapped got home no trouble charged the battery that night. Went out bank holiday Monday day time so though it would be okay not needing lights left the radio off got voltage meter on dash to give me an idea if I was getting in to trouble. Drove about 20 miles no problem then started cutting out pulling back for about 20 seconds but carried on running didn't stop voltage meter dropped a bit but still 12 volt. 10 miles later got to the in-laws put a very similar alternator belt on but not a genuine one. But it stays on it's a v belt it all looks to work correctly. Try to start the engine turned over as it should but would not start. Seemed like there was no fuel My fuel gauge was just above empty line I've had it below the line when I first got it and I've never run out of diesel in it and I keep it topped up on fuel normally. So went got £30 in a clean drum. Bled it up. Struggled to get it to start it started chucked out loads of black Gray white smoke and I mean loads. ( it doesent normally smoke ) won't rev as if the fuel filters blocked took the filter off replaced it. Still started up not as much smoke unless you try to accelerate but it still hold back and black smoke. So got a 5 litre can a hand primer pipe in the can straight to the pump primed up started still exactly the same so put all back as it was. Removed injectors and cleaned with injector cleaner still no joy! Tryed blanking egr valve no luck there so put it back as normally. Looked at turbo all looks okay bearing feels fine. Still will over rough but will sit and tic over for hours whiteish Gray smoke. If you accelerate it's black but it still completely holds back and doesent rev the battery light is off so belt must be working correctly got to get a new multi meter tommorow to check voltage Plugged 2 diagnostics in and they can't read the ecu but my eml light is on. Ive also tryed a new battery. Don't know were to go next are the pumps timed on these has it jumped a tooth? Is the fuel pump broken?
Is it a sensor? Why can't I read it with diagnostic? Is it a faulty injector? Please help

L200 2006 I need help

RE: Starts won't rev holds back black smoke white smoke Help! Please

#2 by Mallinman ( Guest ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:39 am

Check to see if the belt has not taken out the crank sensor or sensor ring. Make sure it's not moved it or bust a wire. And check the crank sensor ring isn't bent. Seen it before. Sounds similar. Hope it helps and works.

Mallinman

#3 by Guest , Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:14 am

Would the engine still tick over? I Will have a look in the morning hope your right just want to find the fault now been at it all day thanks for posting.

#4 by ronniecabers , Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:37 am

K74's aren't OBD2 compliant which is why you can't read the codes ( there is a method shorting out certain ecu pins , but i don't know it of my head...) They are MUT3 which is quite specific to Mitsi , but on saying that some Snap on and Delphi readers seem to be able to read them. It is possible for the pump timing to be out a tooth, normally the engine will smoke quite badly on acceleration and sound like a bag of nails, but they will run one tooth out. I'd be looking at the bottom pulley too, just to check it is running true, any wobble on that pulley and its delaminating and WILL need replacing as a matter of urgency, as it means the belts aren't running true and could cause all sorts of issues As Mallinman suggests check all the Crank Sensor and ring , carefully... a snapped belt can do a lot of damage sometimes as it whips round

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#5 by Guest , Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Okay brill will have a look. These fault didn't start till the day after the belt come off though when I put a new belt on. Thanks for your help

#6 by Guest , Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Just removed the cam belt cover top half and can't see a balancing belt. Know they can cause problems. Can the engine run without one had somebody left it off. Or has it come off and caused my timing to jump

#7 by ronniecabers , Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:22 pm

engine can run without balance belt, a fair few have left it off BUT I would just be checking all round the front there to check it isdefinetly missing and not lying in a pile somewhere, as you say , they have been known to snap and knock the timing out

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#8 by Guest , Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 pm

Checked the timing of the cam and fuel pump. And all okay in time can't see the crank with out removing crank pully ECT. But if the cam and the fuel pump are in time and my balancing belt had come off and made the timing jump at the crank I'm sure it wouldn't be running at all. Really need somebody with a snap on diagnostics also had a good look for balancing belt and couldn't see it and the top gear has very little signs of having a belt run on it. Also looks as if balancing belt tensioner has been removed so guessing somebody has just left it off in the past to prevent any trouble with it.

#9 by FREEWAY ( Guest ) , Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:17 pm

The engine can still run if the crank sensor plate has been damaged but it wont run properly cos it throws the timing out even tho the belts are still in the correct place. id lay money on it that its the plate or the sensor is at fault. its proper easy to fix and very cheap. just done mine.

FREEWAY

#10 by Whistler ( Guest ) , Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 pm

Did you sort it? Mine is doing the same

Whistler

#11 by ronniecabers , Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:32 am

Whistler , have you checked all the above ...eg pump timing , cambelt timing , possible damage to Crankshaft sensor, delamination of crank pulley. Also as a much easier thing to test first , if you still have the egr valve attached this can stick . I can talk from experience here when mine stuck , drove like the handbrake was on , lots of black smoke...eventually wouldn't run ( matter of hours ) removed and blanked EGR valve and all was good again

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

Raging Bull Sport Back Canopy
2015 L200

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor