Crankshaft pulley....while I'm down there?

#1 by Nik Rite , Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:21 am

I'm taking the water rad off and replacing any suspect hoses while I'm doing the rocker cover and half moon. Might as well do the tappets and belts while i'm there. The crank pulley is not wobbly and I know it is aweak spot. Its a k75. While I'm at it would you replace the pulley, 135k miles, or if it hasn't given any problems up to now ,leave well alone? Ta Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite
Date registered 03.26.2018

RE: Crankshaft pulley....while I'm down there?

#2 by Heathen , Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 am

You should change it mate if it's not been done before, they have a limited lifetime and will fail eventually. Not had one go on the K74 but have on two cars, and cost me £200 to get fixed one time. If yours is rust welded on like mine was, you need the rad out to make room to get a decent puller in there. You need a puller that will engage in the centre bolts of the pulley, rather than the outer rim or you'll just pull the outer rim off. You may get lucky though and it all comes off easily. You're supposed to change the bolt and the washer too, but tbh I've reused mine a few times now without problems.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen
Date registered 05.20.2016

#3 by Nik Rite , Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks Heathen. I think while the rad is off Ill do it. Milner do one. They seem to make nice kit. Is that the one to buy?. . I presume there are bolt holes in the pulley wheel that I can use to extract the pulley .Any other thoughts of things to do or check/change while I'm down there?? Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

#4 by 123hotchef , Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:41 pm

I would flush the cooling system thoroughly by removing the block drain plug

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#5 by Heathen , Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:24 pm

If your doing the timing belt, I would also change the front crankshaft oil seal. Once you have the front covers off, you'll be able to see if any other oil seals need changing. Not familiar with this particular engine though btw.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#6 by Nik Rite , Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 pm

I'll keep you posted. My guess is as Im pushed for time, if the crank seal is ok at the moment i might leave it and come back to it later. I'm very interested in taking off the sump and have a look at any poo inside. Ta for all the help . Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

#7 by WarriorSam , Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:30 am

Hi you pair sorry to hi jack this thread but you both seem to of been where I’m headed! I have developed a concerning oil leak at the front of the truck all seems to be pointing to the balance crank seals!, is it just a case of wheels off pick out old seal and press new one in?? If so tricky or not? I would say I’m a 2/3 spanner have a go Haynes manual chap! But I have a trustworthy local garage if I were to go down that route how many pennies would you say? Oh also you mention block drain plug where is this as I have also developed a slight water leak from the same area water pump was done with the belts 5000 ago so should not be that was just thought it would be good to a: use it to flush and b; check that it’s not seeping!!??
Guys anyhelp would be grand!
Kind regards Sam

WarriorSam
Date registered 04.10.2014

#8 by Heathen , Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Water drain plug is towards back of engine on drivers side - it's right behind where the exhaust meets the manifold. Not done a balance shaft seal, but the crank is like you say, just dig out old one and press new one over crank nose.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#9 by WarriorSam , Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Cheers thought as much?! Any idea of the water leak from around the same are??

WarriorSam

#10 by WarriorSam , Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Area!!!

WarriorSam

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Turbo cleaning

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor