How do I know my 4wd in definitely working

#1 by Nik Rite , Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 am

K74..I got stuck recently in a field and the farmer who pulled me out was surprised I wasn't able to get out myself. When I put it in 4wd, the dash light doesn't come on. How do I go about testing what the problem might be? Ta Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite
Date registered 03.26.2018

RE: How do I know my 4wd in definitely working

#2 by ronniecabers , Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:20 am

you could jack all four corners up on axle stands and put in 4 wheel drive and see if all four wheels turn

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#3 by Nik Rite , Tue May 01, 2018 4:50 pm

Ta for that. Was hoping for an easier way but looks like Ive no choice! Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite
Date registered 03.26.2018

#4 by PorkPie , Fri May 04, 2018 10:37 pm

I just had mine in the garage today to fix the 4wd! (this is getting strange). What i had with mine is that i could go into 2wd (rear) and 4hi C (or whatever it is - the top gear), but when i put it in normal 4wd (for road use / all-wheel drive), the rear wheel lights would remain solid whilst the front wheel lights and middle diff lights would flash continously.
Mechanic today said that he jacked the front of the car up, put the back wheels on rollers, and it was actually working in 4wd ranges, and that it must be an electrical/sensor fault or something. Happy that the 4wd is working and the lights aren't, compared to the other way round.

2006 L200 (new shape) Animal Di-D Double Cab 2.5

PorkPie  
PorkPie
Date registered 03.01.2018

#5 by peteturbo , Fri May 25, 2018 10:11 am

on my landy, i would put it on grass or gravel with a bit of steering lock and floor it. it can get a bit intermittent as the electronic 4wd or whatever the system is compensates, and depends on the setting, but should see traction marks from all 4 wheels somewhere.

peteturbo  
peteturbo
Date registered 03.22.2018

#6 by paulw , Sun May 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Quote: ronniecabers wrote in post #2
you could jack all four corners up on axle stands and put in 4 wheel drive and see if all four wheels turn

OR drive through a really muddy field, if you get stuck, it isn't working! sorry homebrew kicking in -- again--

did have warrior, but crossed over to disco 2.
Thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bringing more work!
Landies don't leak oil, they just sweat

paulw
Date registered 10.06.2011

#7 by Markgsxr , Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:45 pm

Find a gravel surface, wheelspin in 2h, should spin easily and not go forward to quickly. Then put in 4h and try again, should pull away a lot quicker and not as much wheelspin. Very basic but it's how i could tell mine was working when i test drove it as the dash light wasn't working properly.

Markgsxr  
Markgsxr
Date registered 02.11.2018

#8 by saro , Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:55 pm

The "old" way to check on your 4X4 is put it on 4H Lock, turn the steering all the way to the right or left, and around drive slowly, without steering back. You should be hearing 'Clinking' noises and the steering acting up.
Just don't do it constantly.

saro
Date registered 11.26.2016

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Help please

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor