Nearly there!!!! ...but what is this?

#1 by Nik Rite , Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks all for helping...truck nearly up and running... While I was underneath tightening the alternator I came across what looks like some sort of sensor. Its in the middle of the photo. It has a black plastic block on it and looks like it should have a wire attached...any ideas?? Also is the alternator oil cooled?? Ta Nik
Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite
Date registered 03.26.2018

RE: Nearly there!!!! ...but what is this?

#2 by Alan G , Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:33 pm

That is your oil pressure switch and should have a wire going to it which usually runs in the same loom as the alternator wires.

No the alternator isnt oil cooled it has a vacuum pump on the back of it which is oil lubricated

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

#3 by Nik Rite , Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:55 pm

Cheers Alan...tracked down the unattached yellow wire nearby....put a new terminal on it and voila,the oil light works...I was expecting it to have been deliberately removed and probably the dash bulb too the disguise a low oil pressure problem but no, all fine! luck of the Irish...dogdged another bullit !!! TaNik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

#4 by Tek76 , Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Given the location next to pipe clamps, it's entirely possible that it got knocked from a previous owner/mechanic who clipped it and didn't notice. What's with all the dampness?

Anything is possible, all you need is imagination or own a bank!
2011DCLB - No I'm not compensating.

Tek76
Date registered 07.18.2018

#5 by Nik Rite , Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:21 pm

dampness....just changed the oil filter and had the rad off...coolant dripping onto the alternator . It does look a bit messy but I think a good hot run will sort it! The rocket cover was leaking also....just an excuse really

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Dodged a bullit...!

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor