Overboost question

#1 by Hattman , Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi all,

Quick question on the k74

Does engine management light come on if you get overboost or does the ECU just back the turbo off?

I've been going round in circles reading thread's and confused myself even more

Thanks

Hattman

Hattman  
Hattman
Date registered 01.02.2019

RE: Overboost question

#2 by krutly , Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:25 pm

first time I got overboost , the engine light came on and I lost all power as the engine management appears to cut the turbo
I limped home a few miles then booked it into mitsubishi
they told me it was overboost and adjusted it while it was in for a couple of recalls (think it was a dim/dim relay and power steering bracket or something like that)
it didn't happen again for a couple of years
next time it happened I pulled over straight away and turned the engine off
I waited a minute or two then restarted and everything was fine with no light on and no loss of power

in the last few years I owned the truck I noticed it would only ever happen when I was booting it and had the revs up high under load
mine only did it maybe once or twice a year so I didn't readjust it as I took it more as a reminder for me to not drive it as hard
I always got the engine light on when this happened

the guy I sold my truck to has had it over 2 years now and has never had the engine light come on so maybe his right foot isn't as heavy as mine is

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by Hattman , Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks for that.

Maybe it's not overboost then as management light doesn't come on.

Just sometimes it's as if the fins in the turbo don't shift to the right position sometimes. Lift off the throttle then gently reapply seems to help.
Already changed control solenoid with a milners one which improved things but it's still not quite as it should be.

Cheers for the info

Hattman  
Hattman

#4 by krutly , Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:42 pm

@Hattman I sometimes had an issue where when I put my foot down it wouldn't boost like normal but would if I lifted slightly then put my foot down again.
this was cured by changing the fuel filter
when I did the filter I usually half filled the filter with forte injector cleaner then topped up with fresh diesel, then a good Italian tune up (giving it a good rev to blow everything out)
changing the fuel filter is always a good start with any engine issues
I only ever used genuine filters from Mitsubishi as they were only a few quid more than other non OEM ones

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#5 by Hattman , Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Now that's a good idea, hadn't even thought of that. To busy overcomplicating it. Def worth a go.

Thanks

Hattman  
Hattman

#6 by Rob1307 , Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 am

My k74 didn't put the eml on with overboost, probably been wired to the abs light at some point , as above all the same symptoms

02 animal double cab back on the road after two years in a barn
shogun sport , not much I can say about it really other than it’s slower than the l200 🤷‍♂️
In hythe kent

Rob1307
Date registered 08.02.2014

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Intermittent starting issue

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor