#1 by Simog123 ( Guest ) , Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi
I own a 54 plate $life double cab, love it and it flew through it's MOT in Feb, then things started gpoing wrong. Squeaky belt, which i tightened though i think there is an adjustment bolt missing. Then smoke, white on starting up then black under acceleration and uphill. Then an oil leak.

All good fun i guess.

Ive changed the oil, air and fuel filters. When the fuel goes down a bit I'll pop some wynns extreme in the tank and see if that helps. Thats as far as my knowledge goes so next step will be the garage for a diagnostic check. sigh. :)

Simog123

RE: Newbie

#2 by krutly , Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:19 am

check the bottom front pulley for any play or wobbles
they are know to de-laminate (quite often squeaking) and throw the timing out causing smoke etc
not saying this is the case with yours but worth checking nonetheless

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by Simog123 ( Guest ) , Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:57 am

Thanks. I've read about that and will give it a go but I imagine if delamination were the issue then I wouldn't have been able to correct it by adjusting the belt?
The thing is I can follow instructions so if I had a manual I could do most things, but I have no idea how to diagnose a fault.

Couple more questions if that's okay, is admin around to verify membership and does anyone know how to get hold of a manual for this age vehicle. It's a 54 plate 4life K74 4d56. L200 double cab.

Simog123

#4 by ronniecabers , Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:09 am

Apologies, unfortunately Admin is currently unavailable due to a recent bereavement and Admin is only the one with the correct ' permissions' to upgrade people.

We do have an online manual but until you are upgraded you won't be able to see it.

You say you think a bolt I'd missing. Photograph where you think it's missing from and send me it in an email ( kmccabery@hotmail.com ,) and I'll post it up. Any particular section of the manual you are looking for right now,?

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#5 by Simog123 ( Guest ) , Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Thanks, it was something the MOT guy toldme, he replaced it for me but said I might need to look at it again.

Ive been told that the symptoms sound like it could be the turbo so I'm going to check that tomorrow. The manual would be for that part I guess.

Thanks and commiserations to admin.

S

Simog123

#6 by ronniecabers , Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:40 am

Do you still have white smoke on start up , or has that stopped? Is the black smoke under hard acceleration , as could just be it needs a cleaner through it ( they all do it a little bit )

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

Series 5 door closing issue
4d56 swap

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor