Newbie from South West Scotland/ Borders

#1 by Wired , Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Hello... just bought a classic/ K74 Warrior, in black with 90k on the clock... I suspect its been more of a life-style pick-up in the past than working truck given the amount of LED's, sub woofers, and other guff that came with it. I tried to do my homework and checked the MOT history, the chassis had been waxoyled from new and everything else (I was aware of) seemed to stack up so I went for it! I'm only ever going to need it for a bit of light work/ dogs and logging (careful how I write that ) and a bit of shooting and fishing. Yes there's a dent on every panel but I'm completely converted - its a keeper... as some great man once said "This is my K74. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My truck is my best friend. It is my life..."

There is of course an ever-growing list of add-ons and options I'm needing but given the fact the list changes day to day, its probably not quite as essential as I'd like to think lololol

First things first then.., engine wise... is there anything specific I should check with this truck - I was going to do an oil/ air and fuel (lubes and filters) change... there are no leaks underneath, other than the rear diff appears to have started weeping - the dust looks a tiny bit 'damp' where the propshaft joins the rear diff - so I'm guessing a seal may need replacing here? Is this a consumable or a symptom of something more serious?

It seems to have developed a couple of issues (I hope only 2) since I've had it - the management light comes on every other time I go up 'the big hill' (not any other time) loaded or unloaded and (this is what lead me here in the first place) - could it be the over-turbo issue and fuel filter needing cleaning out, or have I actually bought a dawg?

The other may be linked to the weeping seal at the rear diff... I rolled to a stop in neutral, clutch disengaged, engine switched off - and there was a really uncomfortable mechanical whirring noise as if something hadn't disengaged... I'm assuming these trucks roll in neutral when not switched on - or again, have I comitted the #1 sin of L200 ownership?

Eitherway, lots to learn, and probably lots of stupid questions along the way so apologies in advance!

Cheers W

Wired  
Wired
Date registered 07.14.2019

RE: Newbie from South West Scotland/ Borders

#2 by krutly , Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:56 pm

hello there
nice choice of truck
things to check for are
cambelt history ....... if you dont know when it was done then I'd be looking at getting it done sooner rather than later
overheating .......... not terminal but will need head gasket sorting (temp gauge should sit bang on half way when warmed up)
rust on chassis and crossmember ......... once again not terminal just needs sorting
front bottom pulley delaminating ......... can be terminal if not sorted straight away
engine light coming on and losing power ........ usually overboost which can be adjusted with a couple of screws
green 4X4 light flashing ......... vacuum leak somewhere easily sorted just takes time to find the leak
oil leak from rear of engine ......... usually the half moon seal, easy to replace
play in front wheel bearings ......... these are adjustable and easily sorted
clunks from underneath ........ probably bushes or bearings worn that need replacing
also worth noting , clunks from underneath have often been spare wheel not tight or rear springs cracked
take a while to start ........ either glow plugs or fueling issue , quite often the stack pipes rust allowing fuel to drain
any engine issue, first thing to do is change the fuel filter even if it's only just been done
there are plenty of grease nipples underneath that probably wont have seen grease in years
also the diff,transfer and gearbox oils may need a change
these are the most issues most people come across
obviously there are other issues but those are less common

new ownership advice .... dont drive in 4WD unless on loose surfaces
classics (yours) have an easyselect gearbox that will give you diff wind up if driven on hard surfaces in anything other than 2WD high
there should be a sticker on the door or on the centre console telling you this
4WD system relies in throwing the lever and the vacuum system
the front diff is engaged and disengaged by the vac system so with the engine not running you will have no vacuum so this could well be the noise you heard as the little plunger tries to engage

ask plenty of questions before you do any work and you'll get plenty of advice
like counting the threads on the turbo screws to you can put it back to how or was before you adjusted it
or undoing the fill up points on the diffs and boxes before trying to undo the drains just in case you can drain them but cant refill them
these are just lessons learnt by many of us over the years that can now help others
we have loads of 'how to's' in this section here -----------> Classics - How To.....

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by AD , Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Welcome,i must have a dirty mind i kinda read dogging not logging
Enjoy the forum
AD

AD
Date registered 04.13.2014

#4 by Tek76 , Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Welcome in.
Don't mind AD, he's been known to pull his gun out in a carpark or two...
Classic wise, there's a strange oracle known as 123Hotchef who's been known for more teardowns and rebuilds than Krutly's had cups of tea (not a small number)

Anything is possible, all you need is imagination or own a bank!
2011DCLB - No I'm not compensating.

Tek76
Date registered 07.18.2018

#5 by Wired , Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Quote: krutly wrote in post #2
hello there
nice choice of truck
things to check for are
cambelt history ....... if you dont know when it was done then I'd be looking at getting it done sooner rather than later
overheating .......... not terminal but will need head gasket sorting (temp gauge should sit bang on half way when warmed up)
rust on chassis and crossmember ......... once again not terminal just needs sorting
front bottom pulley delaminating .........

Wow... plenty to be getting on with...

There may be some Mr Thicko questions to follow up - but appreciate the swift response,

...and thanks!

Cheers W

Wired  
Wired

#6 by Wired , Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Quote: AD wrote in post #3
Welcome,i must have a dirty mind i kinda read dogging not logging
Enjoy the forum
AD

Thanks - and yes, had to double check myself... lololol

What an introductory post that would have been!

Wired  
Wired

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
12-7-19 Welcome to 10 new members

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor