Vacuum pipe to EGR blocked off...

#1 by Wired , Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:27 pm

So I’m 60 odd % thru my very first k74 service (🤪) just waiting on some rubber boots and bushes and I notice the EGR valve has had the bypass thingy done.

Why exactly is this done... should I return it back to standard... and could it be why the truck EML comes on every time I go up one particular steep hill?

I’ve changed all filters and lubes and she will be back on the road tomorrow - so I’m hoping the fuel filter swap will cure the EML issue - am I looking in the right place or is it completely unrelated?

I’ve seen another post on the matter with AN Other 03 k74 suffer the same fate going uphill and it talks about tuning the turbo... but that puts me into the unknown zone so am hoping someone may have a simple answer or explanation.

Cheers - I appreciate the insight -W

Wired  
Wired
Date registered 07.14.2019

RE: Vacuum pipe to EGR blocked off...

#2 by krutly , Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:28 am

the EGR bypass was originally done to prevent the possibility of the EGR matrix going porous and allowing hot exhaust gasses to get into the cooling system
there has been much discussion over the actual benefits of the EGR valve
from what I gather it was a bit of an add on by Mitsubishi to conform to whatever emission laws were current at the time
I found my emission actually went down after doing mine even though it is there to supposedly reduce them further
removal of the EGR valve and cooler and unplugging of the wiring should have no effect on your EML light
changing the fuel filter is right at the top of the list of things to do so hats off to you for doing that
the EML only ever came on with mine when I was booting it and then it was only once or twice a year
mine was overboost ..... I panicked the first time it happened and took it into Mitsubishi who adjusted it and charged me half an hours labor
it didn't happen again for a good 5 years or so
when it did happen next I just pulled over (after losing all power) and turned the engine off for 60 seconds, started it back up and it fixed itself
subsequently any time it happened again I just turned it off and back on again
I could have adjusted it myself usiong the 'how to' on here but it was so infrequent I just left it

the turbo how to is here --------> How to :- Adjust Turbo Overboost

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by Wired , Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks Krutly...

Switch it off and switch it back on again - works for me!

It only happens going up a certain hill, so I now either ease off or I pull into my new very own area on the verge at the top (nice view up there actually) where I apply the switch off/ on protocol ha ha

As you say, so infrequent hardly worth bothering about but hopefully the fuel filter will sort it out! The engine oil was blacker than a black thing with a BA Hons in Black from Blackshire University, so I'm guessing the fuel filter hadn't been touched in a while either.

Again, thanks for the explanation too - all helps me understand what's going on in the new (to me) truck.

Cheers -W

Wired  
Wired

#4 by krutly , Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:41 pm

if it helps, mine also developed a slight 'flat spot' in the acceleration which was always a sign it needed a service
new filter and the flat spot would go instantly
also I adjusted my driving style so when I was on a flat out long uphill run, partway I'd lift ever so slightly at some point
not sure if this kept the overboost at bay or not but I've convinced myself it worked

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#5 by 123hotchef , Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm

limp mode from overboost occurs when the ecu sees the boost over hum i forget think 18psi for 10 seconds so let off the throttle before 10 seconds the reapply the throttle should sort that

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#6 by krutly , Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:13 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #5
limp mode from overboost occurs when the ecu sees the boost over hum i forget think 18psi for 10 seconds so let off the throttle before 10 seconds the reapply the throttle should sort that

never knew that ....... every day's a school day for me
ironically most days are school days for you aren't they cheffy ?
except for the next few weeks I assume ?

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#7 by Wired , Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #5

Now that's a gem!

I'll be giving that a go in a few hrs time!

Wired  
Wired

#8 by Tek76 , Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Quote: krutly wrote in post #6
[quote=123hotchef|p417652]
ironically most days are school days for you aren't they cheffy ?
except for the next few weeks I assume ?

he's rewriting the laws of physics where a classic is involved.

Switching off can clear a multiple of sins/signals that are generated - same as rebooting your pc.
All electronics pc's ecu's etc perform a POST (Power On Self Test) when power is initially applied, this can clear some basic faults. When to take note is when you need to do this on a frequent basis.

Anything is possible, all you need is imagination or own a bank!
2011DCLB - No I'm not compensating.

Tek76
Date registered 07.18.2018

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Gearbox knocking and clutch sticking to the floor

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor