Grinding noise in idle and 4wd light

#1 by Silver200 ( Guest ) , Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 pm

Hi. Just picked up a K74 2004 Animal 2.5TD and couple of days later we have the 4x4 light flashing and grinding gears noise at idle. Noise disappears when clutch is put in and it is while the truck is not moving. So from what I have already leart it is nothing to do with vacuum. Is that right?

I have checked the error codes and I see codes 21, 22, 23, 26 and 32. As far as I can tell it means - Transfer position switch system - Transfer shift mechanism malfunction/ actuator malfunction.
But I also read that 4wd is engaged mechanically via the lever, not an actuator? What am I missing? Any idea why it sounds like the gears are grinding in neutral?

It still drives, sort of, but not intending to drive it until I identify what is going on.
Thanks for any guidance you give me.

Silver200

RE: Grinding noise in idle and 4wd light

#2 by krutly , Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:22 am

when you select 4WD there is a little plunger (actuator) on the front diff that engages the front hubs operated by the vacuum system
sometimes they can stick, so pull back the rubber bellows and squirt some WD in there to make sure it's moving freely
If you've got a flashing 4X4 light all the time you've probably got a vacuum leak somewhere
if the plunger is not engaging or disengaging properly you get a clicking/grinding noise when moving/rolling that should stop when stationary
remember to only select 4X4 mode if you are on a loose surface or you'll do some damage to the diff

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by 123hotchef , Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:30 am

r u sure it is grinding and not a rattle

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#4 by Guest , Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi

krutly
I don't think this is anything to do with the front axle. It makes the noise while stationary so there is nothing rotating in the front axle.

123hotchef
I think you're right. I'm now thinking clutch release bearing. Not sure why I didn't think of that before. Is that what you are thinking too? I'm trying to get hold of a workshop manual but seem to be having isues with my email. I'm guessing its a bit of beast of a gearbox to remove and refit?

Thanks
Lee

Rubber seal
2003 warrior - key out of ignition but engine still running

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor