K74 Head Gasket Replacement Video/ Guide

#1 by Silver200 , Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:49 am

Hi.

I posted in the forum for moderators and admins which was the worng place so I've reposted here. I hope that's ok.

I've just spent ages going through Google, YouTube and this site trying to find a step by step guide or video of how to change the head gasket on a K74. Not just how to do check for flatness or how to torque the bolts. That is all standard stuff. I'm looking for step by step of what needs removing on a K74, in what order, with what if any special tools and how to put it all back again. I've done head gaskets before, just not on a K74. Any ideas anyone please?
Thank very much.

Silver200  
Silver200
Date registered 08.01.2019

RE: K74 Head Gasket Replacement Video/ Guide

#2 by ronniecabers , Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:26 pm

Don't think anyone has ever done a full write up. I know weve got a How to in the tech section for timing belts but can't think that there is one for head gasket.
From memory :

Open bonnet
Remove intercooler and associated pipework
Unbolt the egr valve and cooler ( if still fitted )
Unbolt the inlet and exhaust manifold - think you need to take out the two heat shields for the exhaust manifold first
Remove pipework on top of rocker cover BUT first take a picture so you Know where they go back
Remove rocker cover
Remove belts as per the how to on tech section.
Unbolt head on reverse sequence ( think it's a long 10mm Allen fitting from memory )
Remove head

Refit is reverse , just us 30nm , 80nmand 120 for the bolts, recheck entire sequence before moving onto next torque setting

No special tools required if I remember but suggestions are always replace belts with Gates, replace water pump whilst you've got it apart and also replace the small rubber water pipe at the back of the head that goes to the turbo...just easier to get to it know

I'm damn sure I've forgotten something and I'm sure @Alan G or @123hotchef will fill in my missing bits lol ( Alan has done lots of these so if he definitely knows what he's doing!)

It isn't an overly bad engine to work on to be honest

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

Last edited 08.31.2019 | Top

#3 by ronniecabers , Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:29 pm

Should point out I haven't mentioned electrical connections or any water pipes or fuel pipes , as obviously all the fuel rail wil need to be removed to!

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#4 by Meeshy , Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:46 pm

Meeshy  
Meeshy
Date registered 07.17.2019

#5 by 123hotchef , Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:00 am

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England