Possible alternator leaking??

#1 by Nik Rite , Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:21 am

Got the rocker cover sorted and oil leak def much less...still a slight drip from somewhere...initially thought it was just residue from the rocker cover leak but now i think its coming from the alternator...Is it a big job to renew the seals? Or best to have the alternator done by someone who knows what they're doing?? Thanks to you guys Ive rebuilt my turbo so Ive gone from not knowing where the turbo was to totally rebuilding it ...so feeling a bit more confident....Chef replied to someone that the alternator was a rebuild job with new seals...are they readily available...cost?? or you go to milners £150 !! Anything in silent cities about it??Thoughts?? Ta as always Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite
Date registered 03.26.2018

RE: Possible alternator leaking??

#2 by 123hotchef , Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:39 pm

hi mate K74 yeh? it wont be the alternator per say it will be the vac pump that bolts to the rear of it. Just a largish O ring in there I forget the size i measured it with the calipers and ordered one to fit simples. There may be a smaller o ring on the shft too I forget sure I posted pics some years back

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by 123hotchef , Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:39 pm

oh check the oil feed is done up tight too

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#4 by Nik Rite , Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:34 am

Ta Chef, soz for late reply, on hols miles away , first chance to reply. Mmm when I get back I think I’ll give the whole area a dose of brake cleaner and have a look with the engine running. When I got the truck 15k ago my garage commented on the large oil area underneath. An Irish guy on the forum years ago put new flexible lines to the oil cooler rather than those corroding one on the cross member. I might just eliminate that possible cause. Is that an easy job?? Will keep ya posted ta Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

#5 by 123hotchef , Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:08 pm

i am sure if you clean it well you will easily pin point the source of the leak

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#6 by Nik Rite , Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:50 pm

Ok had a good look. The pump at the back of the alternator looks nice and dry so I think that joint is ok. But the tube that connects the alternator to the sump has a large drip on it. Also on the alternator has two drips ..any thoughts after looking at he pickys? The rocker area is now a lot cleaner/dryer and the general oiliness is moving down the block Ta guys
Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

#7 by 123hotchef , Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:53 pm

thats a flexi pipe might have a hole in it remove it and check

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#8 by 123hotchef , Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:53 pm

the pics show fook all! sorry

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#9 by Nik Rite , Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:31 pm

Jeez that took some doing

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

#10 by AD , Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:08 pm

have you checked the turbo return pipe

AD
Date registered 04.13.2014

#11 by Nik Rite , Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 pm

Just thinking out loud. The pump that comes out of the back of the alternator pushing oil....what path does the oil take? From the oil filter is it pumped thro the oil cooler/rad at the front, then back to the pump at the back of the alternator and then dumped into the sump?
Cheers AD..which one is the turbo return?. I put a new bent metal oil feed pipe,with banjo joint, onto the top of the turbo. Then I attached a black hose ( prob 2cm od) with a protective silver sleeve to the bottom of the turbo which came from down behind the back part of the engine,drivers side. All a bit fiddly.... Also there is a 1cm od braided hose that goes up from the top of the alternator rear pump...what does that do?

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

#12 by 123hotchef , Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:24 pm

is it coming from where the vac pumps meets the alternator

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#13 by Nik Rite , Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:49 pm

Ive had a good look and the back of the alternator is dry so i think I'm ok there. As AD suggests it may be the turbo return pipe. It looks a sh1t job ....any one any ideas around it. ? There was so much oil weeping in the past and now I've fixed the rocker , I've degreased loads with brake cleaner to get a better look. I might leave it for a while to convince myself of the cause but the turbo return pipe looks the culprit. Ta guys

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Very poor MPG after head gasket change.

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor