high rev problem - not diesel runaway

#1 by addi , Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 pm

Okay - L200 4 Life 2005 pickup - just passed mot - oil change etc - all fine and dandy. Go to shop - running sweet - park up - come back out half an hour later - start the engine and it revved to redline and blew black soot out the exhaust ! near on had heart failure ! - switched engine off no problem - any ideas as to cause as no garage near me will take a look at it (prob due to its age )

addi  
addi
Date registered 01.30.2020

RE: high rev problem - not diesel runaway

#2 by mikeinatruck , Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 pm

To rev up it will only mean one thing excess fuel, I would check the intercooler for oil first as the turbo might be passing... that being clean then you might have an injection pump issue, not really much else you can do to diagnose unfortunately

2011 Warrior (Big Red)
265 70 17 BFGs
EGR delete
Thats about it for now.....

RIP - 2003 Oriental burgundy and silver. (curse you evil Corsa driver)

Range Rover Vogue and a Land Rover 90 V8 Tray Back for fun.

mikeinatruck
Date registered 11.02.2011

#3 by addi , Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 pm

Thanks Mikeinatruck - great answer. Okay... The intercooler is clear and the turbo's not sucking oil. Also it wont start if the immobiliser is disconnected. No white smoke and the engine turns off okay with the key.

So... It's a runaway fuel supply problem. I disconnected the tps and it made no difference - just reved right up! That suggests Injector pump or ECU. If i replace th injector pump can I get the car running again? or does it require dealership re-mapping?

addi  
addi

#4 by 123hotchef , Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:46 pm

ecu gets my vote! take it out for inspection! that of a bad earth or earth JC

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#5 by Rob1307 , Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:40 am

The diesel pump does have some electrickery to match with the TPS so could be a failure there causing it to show full throttle

02 animal double cab back on the road after two years in a barn
shogun sport , not much I can say about it really other than it’s slower than the l200 🤷‍♂️
In hythe kent

Rob1307
Date registered 08.02.2014

#6 by mikeinatruck , Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:37 am

Injection pump can just be swapped out ecu requires more work as you'll need immobiliser ecu to match and the keys.. You could disconnect the injection pipes, bag the ends and then do an extended turn over and see what sort of injection quantities you are getting before pulling all the pump off.

2011 Warrior (Big Red)
265 70 17 BFGs
EGR delete

mikeinatruck

#7 by addi , Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:04 pm

Thank you all for your help. Previously I was unable to communicate through the OBD11 and assumed it was my kit - the garage told me they had connected and got a code relating to the injector pump. Not confident that they know what they're doing I thought I'd try one more thing... very obvious. I disconnected the battery to get the ecu to try a 'hard' reset. unbelievably this seems to have sorted the problem! So far the car has been performing perfectly but I'm concerned it may happen again. To me, it suggests an issue with the electronics... ECU?, Sensors? wiring connection? who knows! The fact that it's self 'corrected' on rebooting the ECU suggests some kind of signal anomoly. If it happens again, I'll be back here whinging - in the meantime, if this happens to anyone else, try a simple battery disconnect first!

addi  
addi

#8 by 123hotchef , Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 pm

when it happens again it will maybe not for a while pull the ecu out and i inspect it

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#9 by mikeinatruck , Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:52 pm

You can get a flash code of it easy enough if the eml comes on again

2011 Warrior (Big Red)
265 70 17 BFGs
EGR delete

mikeinatruck

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Top of windscreen rust?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor