Wading depth

#1 by Mikefromderby , Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi gurus,
We have a flooded road under a railway bridge that means a 10 mile detour. Can anyone confirm the wading depth of an unmodified Pram please.
I have googled and it seems to be 600mm which feels awfully deep but could get me through! Wouldn't the water come in the doors at that depth?
Thanks in hope

Mikefromderby  
Mikefromderby
Date registered 03.22.2018

RE: Wading depth

#2 by 123hotchef , Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 pm

doors hve seals it wont come in there, the intake is in the front just under slam pannel so u will be fine

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by RETROL200 , Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:44 pm

i would walk it first and see if you can see how deep it might get then if you decide to have a go select a high gear and enter with a little bit of momentum but not flat out and try to keep a bow wave going. Ive had the water up to the headlights with no snorkal going through my local ford but its only about 60ft of water from one side to the other so it was only getting sketchy in the middle for me and i wouldnt attempt a long stretch at that depth....also when my mate went through in his l200 it came out with the horn stuck on and the lights in the dash having a bit of a fit but it all cleared up after about 5 mins. If you do have to let off make sure you hold the revs a bit when you clutch in as you dont want loose all momentum and stall then flood the exhaust etc on the other hand if it gets way to deep real quick and you know its over try and turn it off asap or you will bend something.

RETROL200
Date registered 11.06.2014

Last edited 02.19.2020 | Top

#4 by Tek76 , Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 pm

Biggest issues: 1 is if it's murky, you have no idea if there's branches or something to get stuck on as you go through. 2 is if there's any form of current and the water is moving as even small push can send you into a situation if you have to get out. As Retro says, keeping a nice gentle bow wave is the key to not stalling out and blowing the motor. 600mm is not that deep but also not that shallow. Tip, measure up the side of your pram and put a mark/tape at about 500mm to give yourself breathing space.

Anything is possible, all you need is imagination or own a bank!
2011DCLB - No I'm not compensating.

Tek76
Date registered 07.18.2018

#5 by Nick , Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:49 am

A few years ago i waded thru loads of floods in my 56 plate pram, water was only 3/4 of the way up the wheels. (Yes i know that's not that deep)
I kept the truck another couple of years and sold it on.
New owner contacted me, sills had rusted from inside due to silt etc inside.
If you do go wading make sure you remove the rubber bungs along the sills to allow the water etc to escape, maybe even get a hose / jetwash and flush the crap out

2017 Ford Kuga AWD 180 Titanium X.
2018 Abarth 595 - Now Sold.
2013 Grey Barbarian - Now Sold
2006 Black Warrior (New Shape) - Now Sold
2005 Black Warrior (Classic) - Now Sold
Stoke On Trent

Nick
Date registered 10.02.2011

Last edited 02.20.2020 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
L200 clutch squeak

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor